Try for a baby now or later!!!!! Attention all military wives!!!

so my husband and i are ready to start tryin for a baby!!!! however we just found out he will be deployed oversees in a few mths but not for a long time, thank goodness! We own and operate a family business and i have a great support system to help me. However i do have low blood sugar and im concerned that morning sickness could make it hard to continue running a business while hes gone even with help. Not to mention that i hate throwing up lol. anyways, is it smart to start tryin now even under the circumstances or should we wait till he gets back? Picture urself in my situation... could you be pregnant , possibly have bad morning sickness and work long hours while ur husband is away? i would never want to risk the health of my baby! any advice is wonderful! thanks

ediswife

Asked by ediswife at 10:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the problem with planning babies according to the military is that everything can change at the last minute. even if he's here he will still have to work and you'll still have to do your part of the business right? with my first we got lucky in that he was on shore duty so was there the whole pregnancy and for the first 10 months of her life before he deployed. however on sea duty he is home for 9 months gone for 6, from 2006-2011, our daughter was born in 05, if we had waited until he'd be home for all of it, than she would have been 6 by the time we had number 2, not what our plans were. so yes, he missed the last half of my pregnancy, the birth and the first 2 months of our sons life, however, that was a risk i took in marrying someone in the military, that he won't be here for some big stuff. really its up to you.have you done a deployment before? if this is your first i'd wait, just b/c its stressful enough w/o adding CON
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• a pregnancy/birth to it. but if you've done it before and know you can handle it than go for it. military spouses have to be strong independent people, and you are that already if you are a military spouse, so yes it sucks, but it would suck just as much if you waited had the baby and then 2 days later he had to leave. or if he misses the first bday, or the first xmas all possibilities as soon as you have kids.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I think it would be easier to be pregnant with him gone than to have a newborn with him gone.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I STRONGLY AGREE WITH MILITARYWIFE976!! lol
    I am pregnant for the first time and unfortantly right after I give birth within a few weeks time, I need to have surgery on my leg (past injury) & will be on crutches for the following 2-3months WITH A NEW BORN. >> ive never even changed a diaper in my life<< and @the exact same time?

My husband will be deploying for a minum of 9months. -thats 9months that my husband will not get to see his son and watch how he grows...

>> It will be hard, but there are groups on base (i.e. officer wifes club etc) who can help you or tell you where you can get help to go through this....

Trust me** you'll want him gone in the begining of being pregnant =)

it's better while your pregnant then when the baby is here & he wont get to meet them, or he'll miss out on the first couple of months (or yr) of their life
    KalieGirl

Answer by KalieGirl at 12:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am pregnant with my first and hubby is deploying in a couple weeks, when I will be 22 weeks. he is hopefully going to be here for r&r and get to be here for the birth, but we all know how the military is. maybe he will make it, but plans can change. as far as doing it alone, it's not so bad. and there isn't a guarantee that you will have morning sickness. just eat regularly and don't let your blood sugar drop. you will likely be very tired for the first trimester though. the only thing you can do is try to get enough rest.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009