How much should I pay for daycare?

My friend will be watching my son, when hes born, while I go to class. It will be 1 hour on monday, wednesday and friday and 3 and a half hours on tuesdays and thursdays. How much should I pay her? Should I pay hourly? Or weekly?

Thanks for your help.

KourtneyNicole

Asked by KourtneyNicole at 10:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would give her $50 a week, that would be about $10 an hour and much cheaper than if you had to pay a day care center to watch your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Check out www.care.com for the going rates for child care and babysitters in your area. $10 a hour seems like a lot to me, but it depends on your area and your relationship with your friend.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 10:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• just commenting on the first response, $50 would be more like $5 per hour, not 10, because she'll be watching him about 10 hours per week. it really varies a lot and depends on a lot. if it's like your best friend and she is mostly doing it to help you out, maybe do like $100 a month. if she is doing it more for income then probably you should pay more like $300/month. of course in some places you can get full time day care for a little more than $300 a month but wouldn't have the one-on-one attention which might be what you want. i say talk to your friend about her expectations
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• well she said she doesnt really care. she wants me to give her an ammount and her and her husband will discuss it. shes quitting her job because she is pregnant but is really wanting to help me out. were not best friends. but not completely strangers either. somewhere in between.
    KourtneyNicole

Answer by KourtneyNicole at 11:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2009