How do I explain the difference between boys and girls to my curious 4 year old?

So recently my 4 year old son reached a new inquisitive point in life. The other day his cousin was visiting..she's 3..she came up to me and said she had to peepee. Before I could get anything outta my mouth my son told her she could pee like him and then he proceeded to tell her she could "pull it out and just go pee." I pointed her to the bathroom and told my son she couldn't go pee like he does..I should have just not said anything and pointed her to the bathroom..so he goes on to ask why can't she pee like him..I told him that girls and boys go to the potty different. He is still asking why and I'm kinda at a loss of words because I don't want to get graphic or confuse him or tell him something that he may repeat that might come off wrong from what I really said. I just don't really know how to explain this one to my son...any advice?

prcd_n_tatd

Asked by prcd_n_tatd at 10:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• Boys have an outside pee pee, girls have an inside one. That's how my 3 yr. old explains it. Of course, he's seen both (his sister is still having trouble with CLOSING the bathroom door).
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Boys have a penis and girls have a vagina. Why is this complicated?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• um because he's 4 years old..not 14. I don't really want him running around saying the words penis and vagina to other kids who's parents might not have explained that to them yet.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 9:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009