How Does Your Faith Use Music? (Mostly For Non-Christians, But All Welcome!)

in the Christian faith music is a big part of worship. almost every Christian service i've been to sings songs, has a band play, and/or an organ/piano.

does your religion incorporate music into its practices? how?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 10:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I use music all the time. It's mine and my boys' favorite way to raise energy. We have our ceremony and before we close it we raise energy to feel our deities presence and to celebrate our creator and all creations. We have various songs and sometimes there are no words, just instruments and vocalizations.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It doesn't as far as I know. I don't exactly have any practices, services, etc. to incorporate music into. Though I do happen to play musical show tunes and country as loud as possible while cleaning.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• KC said it best!

"Do a little dance.  Make a little love.  Get down tonight."

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We sing prayers, the cantor chants the torah portion which is basically singing. But as for instruments and rock bands, no.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• My spiritual path is an eclectic mixture, so there isn't any particular music incorporated into it. But I do love music and find a lot of styles and songs to be spiritually uplifting.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• We don't require music. I tried to find a video of a blot on YT, but they all have music dubbed in that has nothing to do with the ceremony - go figure. I will sometimes have it on in the background, actually need to get my butt in gear and get that done before bed tonight...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well, not music, really, but we chant sometimes.
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 11:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• drums, mostly

Buddhists have chanting services... the drum is used to mark the end of one sutra & the beginning of another.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My path doesnt have a building to go to so if music is used its to center me while meditating or just because I want to listen to something pretty and calming.

I wouldnt say its a must but I think it definately gives something to a person when they listen...be it comfort, peace, joy, or just something to take their mind off something else.

I love music...its good for my soul.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009