is using ur stomach muscles while pregnant bad?

18 weeks pregnant

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No...You use abdominal muscles more than you realize. To sit up, to stand, to cough, to sneeze, to laugh, to lift even small things and so on. I mean don't use them excessively (I'd hold off on those hundred crunches you might be planning) but normal every day use won't hurt
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• no, I did yoga and pilates until 23 weeks pregnant, and my doctor encouraged it. You should be fine, like PP said, you use those abs to do A LOT.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 11:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• The more you use your muscles, the easier your birth experience will be. You should do the same things you do when you are not pregnant, within reason, to keep your muscles tight and strong, You use a lot more of them than you would think during delivery. I have six children and only had problems with my first because I was afraid of doing anything that I thought could harm the baby. Birthing classes, Lamaze training really helps a lot also. Giving birth is a very natural and beautiful experience. Just keep in mind to relax and enjoy and when in doubt, ask your doctor.
    palomita198

Answer by palomita198 at 12:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Dom is right, yoga is great fop pregnancy. CHeck with your doc first to make sure he/she thinks is ok for you. I could only do it up to 18 weeks b/c I had twins. But it can make a big difference. ITs probably why I lost all my baby weight so fast. However you can continue breathing exercises up until and after baby is delivered. I mean that's all Lamaze is, its a type of breathing and relaxation regimen
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009