Help I think my hyper 4 year old has bipolar, what is a good treatment?

She laughs-cries-laughs-cries and is sleepless at night!

What can help get to sleep earlier and stop with the moodswings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are those symptoms of bipolar disorder in children? Im not familar with bipolar in small children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Well, I think self-diagnosing is the wrong way to go. Bring her to the ped. for a check-up and let the dr. know everything that's going on. Could be a whole slew of things and it could be just a very hyper child, who knows. What is her daytime routine, maybe some change in that will help. Set up a night time ritual, bath, read a book and just some quiet time to help her relax and wind down from the day. There are many things you can try before you actually say she is bi-polar. Good luck.
    meetzycat

Answer by meetzycat at 11:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• You cannot even tell if someone is bipolar until they are an adult!!! Doctors wont diagnose someone that young. You child is just that...a CHILD!!!! Dont try to put your child with having a mental disease!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• try lemon balm it is a natural sedative and it comes in liquid form, put a couple drops under her tongue each day and within a week you WILL notice a difference. don't be afraid of the word 'sedative' it won't conk her out like nyquil or benadryl, it's very gentle and light.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• sounds like a regular 4 yr old to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree that self diagnosing isn't the best idea in this case. Take her to a child psychiatrist. Keep a journal of what & when she eats, her mood swings & any obvious cause for them, and any other behaviors you're concerned about. Take that with you when you take her to the Dr.
    It might be Juvenile-onset Bipolar, it might be ADHD, it might be nothing. You also might want to consider that she might be too young for them to get a proper diagnosis & it might be better to wait a few more years.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 7:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• we thought our child had bipolar because she will be happy one minute and crying the next and a family member said to have her checked and turns out she doesn't have bi polar its just her adhd
    smiley198028

Answer by smiley198028 at 8:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It's thinking like this that makes me wonder if people have forgotten BASIC HUMAN DEVELOPMENT.

4 year olds act like they know everything.

Mine just told me in a hissy, 'Mom! I just don't want, WHAT I WANT!'
    Her friend who lived with us {also 4} had mood swings like mad too.
    They are changing yet need to know life is still the certain, constant and comforting thing they've always known. *All* that energy and no way to express it yet, show her you understand by staying strong and maybe reassuring her place as your baby?

Yeah... I'd leave the vipers who run the pharmacy out of it this time. Drugs will not fix what we innately are as beings. Let time run it 's course on this one!
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 1:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009