Is it wrong to hide a special toy when other kids come over?

Myparents are moving to Texas (we live in MN)and had this special handmade rocking horse at thier house for him (and his brother when he gets here) Is isreally beautfiul and one of a kind my son loves it and is attached to it.. she gave it to us today and it is up in his play room but my friends children are VERY rough on toys and i am scared they will break it.. I try to teach my son to share and he is usually pretty good about it.. but i was wondering if it would be ok to put the horse away when they (or others) come over to play.. just one toy he doesnt have to share with any one but his brother.. or would that teach him the wrong thing? has anyone else done this? btw my son is 2.5 if that helps

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 11:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Sure you want to teach your child to share, but arnt there some things that you just dont share with other people? They can understand and appreciate what sharing is even if you take away a special toy when their friends are over. In fact, it might even make sharing easier for your child because he will know that he doesnt have to share EVERYTHING.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Of course its ok to put it away! Other people's kids can really be destructive to toys, so take out anything thats too easy to break or thats special to you. You can always bring it right back when the guests leave. I've also had to remove toys at playdates because too many kids want to play with the same one.
    jenrose82

Answer by jenrose82 at 11:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Nope. By all means, put it away!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Don't feel bad. I do it all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think you should put it away. I don't see that as sending your son the wrong message. My son has a lot of toys we put away around rough and wild kids, lol. He is also 2 1/2 and takes very good care of his toys. I know a lot of people who do this and it is fine.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 12:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do that all the time, some kids are really rought with toys and they are not cheap
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• nope// i put all but maye 10 toys up and away when my neice comes over,, she either throws them away or steals them..
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• we put all the special toys in their bedrooms. bedrooms are not for guests to be playing in.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with putting it up!!! Thats a special toy that your sons grandparents bought for them-you don't want to risk having something happen to it! It's great to teach kids to share-but there are limits too...its not like you're letting your son play on the horse in front of his friends and not sharing it---definately put it up!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 12:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I dont see a thing wrong with that. Sometimes there are toys that you just dont want to have ruined, keeping it out of the destructive kids eyesight is the best thing to do sometimes.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 1:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009