I don't understand?

If there is a nice way to take away a security object from a child why would you just take it and throw it away? Why not just take the time to wean them off the bottle/pacy/lovie or whatever it may be? IMO it seems a little cruel to take something away that they love so much and just throw it away without any consolation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my kids were little (about 3 and 5) and I wanted them to give up their comfort blankets, we talked about it for a few days and I told them that I thought they were big now and asked if they wanted to try and throw the blankies (actually cloth diapers!) away - and in a few days, I was going to the store where I could buy either new blankies or buy them a small toy. Of course, they were old enough to get the concept and agree to the 'deal' and it took a few days of preparation but it worked - and they never looked back. So yes, there are nice ways to get kids to change bad habits - but just like when they are teens, you have to figure out what is going to motivate them to do so.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 5:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• explain to the child that he/she is too old to have the "whatever" then take it away. they might cry, but they'll get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• All children are different. Some can be weaned nicely, others need a more direct approach. Then you have health issues. Some children are so attached to a bottle that their teeth start to move and their speech becomes affected and yes, in the younger years, time is important.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Because at some point in their lives, they have to realize that a pacifier is not something they need. Don't you think kids look kinda silly with the dumb thing hanging out of their mouths. Blankets are something different.. if they want that, no one sees it, it doesn't matter... But binkies also have bad consequences, such as teeth development and slow speech development.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Agreed...bottles and pacies are one thing...those need to be taken away when necessary and just disappear.
    Blankies and lovies are a completely different story IMO...a pacie or bottle SHOULD NOT be a security object but something that will provide some comfort to an infant when needed. A security object should be something that you will not have to take away in the future and that they can cuddle and snuggle with. Big difference there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• are you the anon. who's 5 year old is in kindergarten and still using a pacifier? Sorry you didn't like all the people who said to take it away..but seriously, there come a time (5 years old!?!) when a pacifier is just ridiculous!!!
    Anonymous

• The women who's 5 year old takes a paci didn't post anon. I was just wondering why if you could do it nicely you wouldn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• As far as bottles and binkies being taken away, there is an age when this should be done, only because of further health problems down the road such as poor speech development and dental issues. IMO I just don't understand children that are two, three and four years old sucking on a binky.... If you start transitioning your child early, taking away the bottle or binky should be easy. We had our dd throw away all of her bottles on her first birthday, it was easy. We plan on doing the same with ds next month when he turns one.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009