2 year old afraid to poop

For the past few weeks my 2 year old has been afraid to poop. We are kind of potty training but not in full-force, he refuses to put on underwear, when I put them on he will take them right off. But he wants a dry diaper as soon as he pees. Anyway as far as the #2 issue goes, he has been holding it in saying it hurts & he's scared. He isn't constipated and I don't know why he's scared. Aside from us telling him it's okay to poop in his diaper and there's nothing to be scared of, I don't know what to do to help him. He'll get to the point where he says he doesn't want to poop in his diaper but on the toilet, then we take off his diaper & take him in & he'll barely sit down and say he's scared or he changes his mind. We have a child's potty seat that goes onto our regular seat as well as a floor-potty but he doesn't like either of these. I'm just wondering if anyone's been through this or what you would do.

oahoah

Asked by oahoah at 12:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I WOULD TRY A REWARD SYSTEM, TELL HIM IF HE POOPS HE WILL GET "WHATEVER". MAKE IT SOMETHING REALLY GOOD. MAYBE THE POOP FAIRY WILL GIVE HIM $1 TO BUY A TOY WITH OR SOMETHING. OH, AND HAS ANYONE EVER POOPED IN FRONT OF HIM? MAYBE HE NEEDS TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE DO IT, SO HE KNOWS IT'S OK.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• As for the underwear, just try not wearing any. As for the number 2 thing, I have seen that at daycare, and it happens enough. Probably at some point, even though he is not constipated, his poop hurt him a bit, either cause it was a larger stool or because he held it since he did not want to go on the potty. Now he associates pooping with being sore. I would try to feed him some more fiber and fruit, and maybe let him wear his diaper for a few days and forget the potty training. Once he starts pooping again without being scared, then you can retry potty training. Just an idea. Hope everything goes well.
    kiki2780

Answer by kiki2780 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with both PP's, that it's a larger stool because he's waiting, needs prunes or prune juice (we mix prune in apple juice, just enough to turn it brown maybe 25% prune & 75% apple) to soften him up, (not too much, it will give him diarrhea.) And also getting him a toy. But I seen a suggestion, about making a "magic wand" or I guess buying one, and setting outside your house with a note. Let him find it, and the note says that whenever he needs to poop that if he holds the magic wand, it won't hurt or be scary. Also, LOTS of liquids, way more than usual, cut milk way back, and lots fruit if you are trying to train.

Idea from 3Dayottyraining.com.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009