What could be wrong with this newborn?

ok my best friend just had a baby on thursday and they came home from the hospital on saturday. well when she was born she was a mar stained. i was there when she was born and she was covered in it, it was like glue all over her. well they let her stay with mom until they took her to the nursery to clean her etc but they checked her sugar and it was 24 so they kept her in the nursery until it came up. well my neighbor wants to breastfeed and has been trying to since she left the hospital, well her milk didnt come in yet and the baby was getting dehydrated so they gave her a couple ounces of formula a couple times. well here is the problem she was not waking up and just sleeping for the past 24hrs. so they took her to the ER and they admitted her to the ICU, they have done a spinal tap and blood work and havent found the problem yet, what do you think it could be?

MamaSusieQ045

Asked by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Out of that list there are three of concern, abilify: she could switch to a different med like zoloft which is compatible with breastfeeding. wellbutrin can affect milk supply, that may have been what was giving her trouble. Nortriptyline is listed as effects unknown but may be of concern. She can check out all of her meds at this site: http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
    She could also check in the book medications and mothers milk.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 30, 2009

• Aren't you a nosy little neighbor. :]
    You'll know when the mother knows, I'm sure, Dr. Phil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• gees anon first of all she is not the neighbor , the one who had the baby is her best friend and i think she is just concerned about the baby, i would if my best friend's baby was sick like that! please re-read the question before answering to be rude ok?
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 1:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It is probably dehydration and low blood sugar.

The stuff you saw all over the baby was called vernix and it's normal. Usually there isn't that much unless the baby is premature.

I think that she probably is not putting the baby to the breast enough. Newborns need to nurse very frequently because breastmilk is digested very quickly. I'm sure the baby will be fine, but have your friend nurse more often if you can tactfully bring it up.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Jaundice makes babies very sleepy. Her milk should be in and if not very soon. How often is she breastfeeding the baby? She needs to make sure the baby wakes to nurse, baby should be nursing 8-12 times a day. Here's a link for that: http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/waking_a_sleepy_baby.shtml
    The hospital will probably not be too great with helping her breastfeed, she should ask to speak to a lactation consultant asap if she hasn't already. I hope things turn out okay for her and baby!
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• man i love when people stick there opinion out there but they are not willing to put their name on it. for your information i am the babies god mom and i have her other three children at my house right now. i was just asking if anyone might have gone through something like this and what the outcome might have been.

thank you maryfer for being so nice, i wish everyone was like you.....
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• well she is has been trying to breast feed her every three hours. but nothing is coming out. she saw a lactation lady at the hospital and she told her to keep putting the baby on but everytime she does the baby gets mad because nothing is coming out, thats why they gave her a bottle earlier today just so she could eat something, it scares me because she has been breast feeding her or should i say trying to since thursday and they baby has not gotten anything from her breast. she took a couple ounces from the bottle but that didnt even make her wake up to open her eyes or anything. she is just really limp and dehydrated so thats why they took her ot the hospital, but they admitted her to the icu and are running tests right now but everything is coming back ok but she is just getting worse...
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think maybe it is a blood sugar issue, although jaundice did make my son sleepy. Not that sleepy though. It is good to know she has such a good support system in you. :) Thanks for supporting another mom.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am not a doctor though. :) Just had to throw that out there.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The stuff you saw all over the baby was called vernix and it's normal. Usually there isn't that much unless the baby is premature. well i know what that looks like but this was marconium, it was horrible they dont know how long she had been ithe womb with it but it was caked on

MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2009