do you feed your pets a raw diet ?

If so what are the pros and cons of doing so ?

koolest_mom_of4

Asked by koolest_mom_of4 at 1:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pets

• The Barf diet is not a ready to feed diet but rather one that is time consuming in the beginning. The most importnat part is to make sure BARF diet is balanced.. To ksawyer..your response is incoherent at the very least. You DON'T feed BARF if you don't feed bones. Bones And Raw Food. Do you know the difference between pros/cons because your response would lead people to people to believe otherwise!? I feed BARF and it is not hard to understand if you are willing and wanting to change your diet. There are some really good prepackaged raw diets on the market, Bravo and Natures Instinct/variety (this also has a kibble variety). If you have more questions please ask someone that knows or visit the BARF website:)

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 8:47 AM on Aug. 26, 2009

• Yes, both of my dogs are on the BARF diet.
    As for exact pros and cons... I really couldn't say exactly... The cons - biggest ones are a little more time consuming, and a little pricey.
    The cons - they're coat is healthy, they've got more energy, and their poop is much more minimal than when they used to be on dog food.

FYI - no matter what any one suggests, I just would NOT risk feeding them bones. Of any kind - especially chicken bones... but nothing. The risks are just too high - and it's highly unnecessary.

Also, giving your pup one very good BARF meal and a smaller portion of dog food has pretty much the same results as well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 1:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thanks for your input ...........we have a 3 month old chihuahua and shes just not going for the kibble and I am worried about giving her wet food because of dental health I had heard of the raw diet but have never actually seen or talked to anyone who did this
    koolest_mom_of4

Answer by koolest_mom_of4 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The raw diet is really good, but I suggest you buy your dog the actual raw pet food and not serve your dog raw meat bought from a market which is very dangerous.
    Also, if your dog just isnt going for kibble, give her a few days. All dogs are picky if you allow them to be. Eventually she'll eat it. Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You can add something like a broth or gravy over the dry food...the BARF diet is very difficult unless PRECISELY done....you don't want to endanger your dogs health.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009