I want to re-enforce what's learned in Pre-school...but how?

My daughter started pre-school last year right after her 3rd birthday in February due to needing the speech therapy they provide. I had pretty much no clue what happened while she was in school. Sometimes there would be papers in her backpack showing what she did that day, but often times not...and there were times I'd get one day what she did the previous week. When I'd nonchalantly bring up to the teacher that it would be nice to know what was going on so that I could re-enforce any teachings at home (speech and otherwise), it was pretty much blown off leaving me believing that just wasn't done. At the IEP meeting at the end of the school year, I told teacher and speech therapist I'd like this again and was told that there isn't an itinerary and they are sent home with what they are learning.

Am I expecting too much to know what they are teaching my child so that I can go over and re-enforce it after she gets home?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 1:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does the teacher have parent/teacher conferences occasionally? You can discuss things at that time. Also, if your daughter has an IEP for speech or any other goals, then you should be receiving an IEP progress report maybe 3 times or so a year. Have you gotten any progress reports? I also know that you could request that the teacher and speech therapist write down activities your daughter participated in and send this information home to you. You can send a notebook back and forth for this info. If they do not have time to write down very much, then maybe you could make up a checklist of activities they present everyday to your daughter. Kind of like a daily schedule. Things like lunch, hanging up coat and book bag,center time, outside time, etc. The teacher can then "checkoff" which of these your daughter participated in and maybe write in a few things like, what she ate or who she played with. Make copies for days.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• kids that young dont typically get a lot of "on-paper" assignments or tasks, mostly group fun and class activities.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• oh if you really want to know you can always sit in...if the time is available for you.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• you can try to get in contact with the speech therapist, and maybe you can sit in with that person.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 1:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i don't think they really force paper work on them at that age. they are probably teaching them alot of social skills, cognitive, and basic self help skills. just continue to read to her, do abc's 123's and colors. my ds will be attending a free preschool and he is also in speech therapy. his school encourages parent participation and sitting in.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't know anything about the speech therapy aspect of it. However, as far as preschool, there is probably not a real tight curriculum. Chances are they start the day with calendar and talk about the days of the week, the months, seasons, weather, etc. They probably read a story, do some type of art project and have centers in the classroom. In centers they likely have a dress up corner, a book corner, puzzles, art, blocks, etc. They also probably have a recess type time. The teacher probably pulls children for small group time for work with writing, abc work, numbers, colors and shapes. To reinforce at home the best thing you can do is read, read, read with your child. Also talk to her about the things you see throughout the day, your schedule, sounds in words, etc. When you ask her to let the dog out, ask her what sounds she hears in dog. Ask her what sound her sandwich starts with. (cont)
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (cont) At this age children are ALWAYS learning so there is no reason to try and do something super formal like flashcards or worksheets.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 3:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I am extremely tempted to demand it and, if not get it, go to the principal and so forth, but yet DD will be with this teacher this year and next year and I don't want to have a major rift between us and risking it dwindling down to DD.

This is a public school and the speech therapy makes the school and the therapy completely free, so it isn't something I pay for.

We have pre-school orientation on Wednesday and I was planning on bringing this up to the teacher again that day, but yet if it's asking too much, I'd like to know that ahead of time so I don't "push it".........
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I know what you are saying, but especially since she's in speech therapy, and although the teacher re-enforces what the therapist does through the week, I can't help but to think that if I could also re-enforce in the afternoon/evening, DD would be talking a lot more. Otherwise, I'm sitting there not knowing what to do because they aren't telling me anything and I don't want to hurt what they've done by doing something different, KWIM?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• LOL...I think the teacher would kill me if I sat in. Would love to though......
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009