Has anyone seen this....

DD is 6. She has been sucking her middle two fingers since she was born and we can't get her to stop. Well, last week, she had a bump with a cut in the middle. We put cream on and it healed. When we took the band-aid off, about 48 hours later, the bump was back. Is this common with thumb/finger sucking?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 1:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is your opportunity!! Make a big deal out of the cut/bump. Tell her it needs to be wrapped, put some neosporin on it and put a bandaid on it, even buddy tape it to the other finger she sucks. Redo it every day.

My dd was 8 and still sucking her thumb, she got it smashed in a door, the dr gave us a splint, it wasn't broken. The dr said to use the splint for about 3 days.....I used it for about two weeks! My dd didn't know I "over" used it! But she quit sucking her thumb!

When I read your question, that's the first thing that popped in my head....perfect opportunity!!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm not sure about the cut but it could be a callas bump. maybe try stickers for every three minutes or a bit longer timed w/o sucking or for coming in/home or at dinner or going to bed, etc. whatever reward her for time not sucking. Either making it obvious its' about not sucking or make it obvious its' about doing other things than sucking.

Maybe groups focused on arts and crafts would keep her hands busy - Girl Scouts do arts and crafts so do 4H clubs with kids of all different ages.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Robin, that is a good idea. I would have to wrap it up a bit though. That is a wonderful idea. Thank you!!
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2009