Does anyone else think pacifiers are disgusting?!

I made the decision to not allow my daughter to have a paci before she was ever born and she never cared. They are so gross! They are unsanitary and rarely cleaned correctly or after each use. They smell putrid and and useless. Am I the only one who didn't use a paci as a crutch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh wow, never really went so far as to consider the details of cleanliness of them. That's cause with my first baby over twenty years ago my best friend was a registered nurse. she told me when my son was a newborn that if it ever dropped on the floor right away pick it up and suck on it myself, that my mouth and his mouth - our germs - were healthier for him than anything else. And She said just to dump a pacifier that dropped in mud or dirt, anything really really dirty. But my went straight for him thumbs and fingers - I didn't have to worry about loosing them anytime!!! My two daughers didn't like pacifiers either.

I dunno. Babies can be just as hung up sucking their fingers all of the time too, especially the thumb of course. Both need to be cleaned often and one costs no money to own or maintain and the other (pacifier) has a price tag to clean it however often

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I used a paci with baby #1, he used it until I weaned him from bf'ing then lost interest. And no, I don't think they're disgusting. Do you know how many "dirty unsanitary" things your child is going to put into their mouth by the time they're 5. You can't watch them all the time. And whether it's their own dirty fingers or kissing the dog, how about getting an owie on their finger while their outside playing. These things happen. Personally, I would have preferred for baby #2 to take a paci, at least then I could take it away. Instead, she uses her fingers, and we can't remove them to get her to stop, so now she has a speech impediment, a deformed upper palate, and is getting weird marks on her fingers. So, I'd take a paci any day.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I AGREE WITH YOU THEY "They smell putrid" like latex rubber which is a smell that makes me gag!! The same smell that the old fashion Keds Tennis shoes use to have to them after they were wore for a awhile!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my 1st kiddo hated his and we never used. my daughter liked it briefly, maybe 3 mos or a bit longer and I bought a cleaner so I wouldn't have to be stressed out:

You know it’s true, how many times did Jr. drop that pacifier and pop it right back into his mouth before you can catch him? By nature, kids are just gross. It’s best that we don’t know exactly where that pacifier has been, especially when they attempt to shove it into your mouth. Well for those moments of horror when you actually find out where it has been, Pipila will be there to save the day. It takes UV rays and will kill 99.9% of the germs on the pacifier.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It’s also nice because it is about the size of a grapefruit, so it will fit into the diaper bag along with everything else in the world. It will take a full six minutes to do its job, which will seem like an eternity if you have a screaming child on your hands. This gadget will likely appeal to mostly first time parents, who haven’t yet realized that no matter how hard you try kids are still gross. This probably would also be more realistic for just doing on occasion instead of after every single time the pacifier hits the floor.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had gotten mine for 39.99 back in 2006. Dunno what they go for now..... and that was a promo/review for it above, by the way!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• For my child, since the day he was born he liked to suck. As his doctor put it, some kids like to suck and find it comforting and others do not. Since he was not breastfed it was beneficial and good for his mental/emotional health. My husband and I adopted our child and even infants go through periods of grief and depression when initially placed with a family different from their birthmother. I did not use it as a crutch. Also some children, as part of their medical therapy, do need to use them to stimulate certain muscles. I find it interesting many adults want to criticize children's parents when they see an "older" child with a pacifier but don't know the exact circumstances as to why that child has one. Some parents do use it to soothe in ways that perhaps are more appropriate for an adult to handle....but it is not my child and it isn't abusive.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• OP - Not that I am a Mom that uses a pacifier as a "crutch", my kids have both used them for limited times as babies. Pediatricians say that for the first three months they are beneficial in preventing SIDS, as the sucking motion that is done can help stimulate proper breathing. I do however believe that once a child turns a certain age the use of pacifiers should be discontinued, but that is just my opinion.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son breastfed for about a year. After I weaned him, he started sucking on my skin. He just wanted to suck! My pediatrician recommended a pacifier, and he really took to that! I think he had it up to kindergarten.
    What is wrong with it?
    When and if they get stinky, buy a new one! They are cheap, after all!
    I don't think this kind of decision can be made in advance. My two daughters never used a pacifier, never seemed to need one.
    I would be attentive to your baby and their needs. Really, what is the big deal?
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 9:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• OP - It is quite obvious that you are proud that you were able to stick to your decision to never allow your child a pacifier, but some families are not so lucky. Children who are born with or who later develop significant medical issues often NEED pacifiers, both for the comfort they may provide AND as a form of MEDICAL TREATMENT. These same children may need to utitilize their pacifiers for an extended period of time, possibly even for years, especially if the child is NPO (not allowed to eat by mouth). You cannot always tell which children are those who are using their pacifiers for medical reasons (it's not always obvious!) and who is just using a pacifier w/their child b/c they want to. Think beyond your own little perfect world and realize that everybody is different & has different needs, ones that you are not privy to, nor should you be, so stop being so judgemental.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:31 AM on Aug. 24, 2009