What to do??

OK, so, I used to homeschool, then my mom moved in so I figured I'd go back to school and take advantage of that. I was worried that I wasn't helping the kids enough so school seemed right. Now I don't know. DS is advanced for his grade, and he didn't learn anything last year, and is bored again this year so I worry about him losing interest. DD is behind, she is 6 and we had to pull her from kindy last year to get evals because the school wasn't doing it. She is autistic. She brings home "reading" but it is just memorizing these stupid little books they give her because she has trouble with phonics. And DS 3 is ready to start pre-reading but I am afraid that if I start teaching him, then he'll be in the same boat as his big brother, since this is the same age that his big brother started reading. So, now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

cont.

Petie

Asked by Petie at 1:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like your children really need you. It seems they did better with the homeschooling. I think option 3 sounds the best. It may be hard to do, but if you can pull it off I'd say that's the best option. GL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have a couple options. 1. I could drop out of school (well, just finish this semester then drop) to homeschool them. But that would leave us short my GI Bill money, which we kind of need. 2. I could keep the kids in school and hope the oldest doesn't get bored, and just hold off on teaching the 3 yr. old anything. And HOPE that they start teaching dd in a way she can get. Or 3. I can arrange classes so I have 2 each morning, get home by lunch, homeschool the kids and then get them to their activities. This way I keep the money AND school the kids. We would do double work on Fridays and Sundays.

I just don't know what to do. I have until Dec. to figure it out, but I figured it couldn't hurt to bounce it off some of you.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i agree.option 3 seems the best.just make sure you dont overwhelm yourself.you never know they might end up getting skipped grades and graduate college by 17.good luck with everythingoh n try doin seperate individual work wit sd, it might help.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Have you approached the school with your concerns for your older son & DD? Your son sounds like he may qualify for a Gifted IEP and your DD should have an IEP as well, but for special education services. For your son, the gifted IEP would entitle him to enrichment classes & the teacher should be able to provide him with more challenging work more suited to his abilities. For your DD, if you can show through data charting that your DD is not making progress in the curriculum or if you feel they are not meeting her needs & can prove it through data, then it is your right to call an IEP meeting and hash it out with the school district. For your toddler, well, at 3 there isn't much you can do b/c Gifted doesn't come into the picture until a child is at least in 3rd grade b/c many children are advanced at a young age, but then they level out once they hit about 3rd grade, which is why most schools will not even evaluate until then.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• mom2---that is actually the issue with DS, he is in 2nd grade and they won't evaluate until 3rd. Last year he put up with it because his teacher told him that he would be evaled in 2nd, well, the 2nd grade teach. just told him, nope, not til third.

DD has an IEP for speech and spec. ed, plus she is in a small group spec. ed setting spec. for autistic children for about half her day. Overall, she spends the majority of the day in spec ed classes when you add it all up, but for all that time, she is making no improvements. I made more improvements over the summer and I was going to school at the time too. So, I am concerned, not that they won't give her services, but that they are not equipped or using the right method to help. I don't know if I can fight their methodology, I know legally they have to provide services, but do the services legally HAVE to work? I don't know my rights in this situation.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009