1st time preegnant dont know what to expect in labor..

how do i tell braxton hicks contractions from labor contractions.what does either one feel like?i know labor pains are really intense,but wut about the hicks?does the mucus plug always come out b4 anything?i know your water doesnt always break so do i wait until my pain is 5 minutes apart?does your belly always drop?thanx you all i always 4get to ask my doctor these questions when i go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to make a list to take to the MD with you. Alot of these questions vary from pregnancy to pregnancy. I had a wonderful midwife with my first she said to me, "every woman I know would pay a million dollars for someone else to go through this for them. The first time moms because they have no clue what to expect, and all others because they do know." Fact is, braxton hicks feel very much like real contractions, and I couldn't tell them apart until I went to the MD during the hicks. I never noticed my mucus plug come out on my first 2, but that is common as most the time you don't examine the tp after wiping. As for waiting during contractions, well that depends on how far from the hospital you are and what your MD feels is best based on a number of circumstances. Your belly will generally "drop" when the baby starts getting into position. Best advice though, make a list of quest. for your MD.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• well a lot of questions u just answered so that saved me a few questions :) hehe..thanx!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• you will just know! even if you go to the hospital and they send you home, most likely you are in the very early stages and the hospitals always have prego moms in and out and they want you to wait until you are in what they consider ACTIVE labor to be admitted!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i was in excrutiating (what the OB nurse called lower ligament pains by the second trip to the hospital and was only like 2 cm dilated but the midwife admitted me anyway. the contractions were a piece of cake compared to this pain in my abdomen!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• braxton hicks doesnt realy hurt just makes your belly real hard.when your in contant pain i would to the hospital.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• your belly might not ever drop (mine didn't) and you might not lose your mucus plug before you go into labor either. if it were me, i would just wait and wait if i thought i might be in labor until i was sure i was. but then you run the risk of en route or home delivery. ;) but usually first timers are in labor for a loooooooooooong time. you might have early labor contraction which are a lot like real contractions only they don't get stronger and stronger and closer and closer for a couple of weeks before you really go into labor. good luck!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• In True Labor

Contractions will:
    Get progressively longer
    Build in intensity
    Have shorter rest times

It seems unfair that the best advice most experienced mothers will give you is, "You'll know when it's labor." Even if it is true, it isn't especially helpful for the first time mother. What signs should she be looking for to let her know that labor is really starting?

Your body is going to go through periods of contractions that may be regular or irregular for days or weeks before your true labor begins. These contractions may feel strong or mild, some women don't even notice them. But they will have some differences from true labor contractions.

The first difference is that true labor contractions will not space out or slow down when you change activities, pre-labor contractions will. In fact, very often true labor contractions will increase when you change activity.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (CONT.)
    Testing for True Labor

There are a few "self-tests" you can do to determine if what you are experiencing is true labor.

Drink some water - Dehydration can cause you to feel contractions that look just like true labor, but are not productive.

Eat something - Some women find that hunger brings on Braxton-Hicks (pre-labor) contractions. Eating seems to stop these contractions.

Change your Activity - With pre-labor, changing activity (like resting if you have been walking around or going for a walk if you have been resting) can cause the contractions to stop.

Watch the contraction pattern - Even if you are having contractions less than 10 minutes apart, it may not be true labor. If the contractions are staying the same (not getting closer together or longer) it is pre-labor.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Pre/Early labor indicators: Nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, losing mucous plug, bloody show, contractions (regular~increasing in intensity), back pain, menstrual-like cramps, pressure very low. While these are normal things to notice in the third trimester, it's a combo that gets your attention. Especially, when the contractions increase to a point where you must stop what you're doing to focus on getting through it.

The contractions will sort themselves out. 4-1-1 is the "general rule" for knowing when "it's time" to get serious. Contractions are 4 minutes apart or less, 1 minute long or so, and happening this way for 1 hour or longer. ***Remember, to gauge how far apart they are: time contractions from the start of one to the start of the next.
    doulala

• Doula---I'm assuming you're a doula!!! Good, better than an OB when it comes to explaining l&d!! I always wanted a doula, but my ins. doesn't cover that.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009