How long does it take your vagina to go back to 'normal' after birth?

I'm afraid my husband might not like the feeling of my privates after the baby is born & the doctor says its okay to have sex. Do your privates ever go back to the way they were? Which I think they don't, if not, do they ever become tight again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• best thing to do after you deliver is squeeze you vagina muscles through out the day everyday and that will make it tight.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• sorry, but once you have a baby there is no going back to the way it was...but that's not a bad thing...just new and something to get used to for BOTH of you. My hubby said it felt different but not bad. For me...it took MONTHS to even WANT to! After both of mine I had stitches and it takes a while to go back to anything that could be considered "normal". Sorry if it is TMI, but you really need to be prepared...I would have loved some straight up honesty 8 years ago! LOL! But my husband and I have a good relationship and we can talk about it, if we wouldn't have I have no idea where we would be now!
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 9:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Research and read up on Kegal exersizes, you should be already doing them now during your pregnancy and continue after you have the baby, it will strengthen your vaginal muscles and help with incontinance which is sometimes a problem in late pregnancy and postpartum.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't mean to scare anyone, but during my first vaginal birth, in which I pushed for 3 hours, my vaginal walls collapsed and my uterus came down about half way. Afterwards I always felt like I had a bulge down below, and I did have a bulge. It's called a prolapse. I just finally got surgery to repair it, five yrs later. They had to remove my uterus, but left in my cervix and ovaries. It was pretty major surgery. I'm still healing and hoping to feel like myself again. Supposedly this is hereditary, not very common. But don't be surprised if you are different "down there" afterwards.
    Anonymous