(link) hard to watch, mini van Momma tasered in front of her kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dik-mgCDcg&feature=player_embedded

watch w/ volume as this particular version has the mom herself giving commentary

THOUGHTS PLEASE?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This could be any one of us..... what would you have done differently?

I would have remained in my car turned on the video camera of my cellphone and taped they entire conversation with the police officer. I was not able to see the radar the last time I got a ticket. I knew I was not speeding and demanded to see the radar. The officer refused. I had his refusal on my cellphone. I went to court he lied I was able to show my video and my ticket was dropped. I would rather play a ticket than get out of a car when I know in my state you are not supposed to when a cop pulls you over. They don't know who is a whack job and who isn't even if they are a dick cop. This mom should not have been tasered and had she stayed in her car she wouldn't have been. She knew this guy was a jerk and should have let things go. I get she knew he was in the wrong but there are better ways to handle it especially when you have kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• She'd just turned onto the family's street when the police officer pulled her over for talking on a cellphone while driving. Only she didn't have a cell phone. So he gave her a ticket for going 5mph over the speed limit, only he didn't have any radar. So she was all, "let's go to the tape," and he was all, "Get back in your car." Then he pulled back her out of the car and tased her for getting out of the car and for blocking traffic by lying in the road.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:33 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm assuming this would have been recorded on the cop's "dash cam," so if everything stated is actually true/accurate, then I'd have called my lawyer, pronto!!!

I come from a family of local cops and state troopers. I know that WHENEVER they pull someone over (routine as in not in a chase/apprehension moment) they're to record their location prior to even approaching the person they pulled over--to run their plates. GPS devices are also located in the police cars of those I know, so if there was an problem backup could be sent. Police are accountable for documenting the "who what where and why" of EVERY person they pull-over, so my lawyer would be asking for this information.

If the officer didn't follow procedures, then he would be suspended just based on that, let alone if he acted inappropriately.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• again, no speakers on my computer...uggg, so i couldn't hear the dialog between the two.

If i was her, i never would have gotten out of the car in the first place. I would have put on my pretty face & talked w/ the cutest voice possible, even if i was innocent. I definitely don't think she deserved to get tazed at all.....i think tazer guns should only be used for EMERGENCY, for instance....arresting a meth head that is refusing arrest.

BUT, i don't trust ALL cops. I know here in Atlanta, there have been many cases of evil cops doing evil things w/ their power. I never want to mess with that. I would have taken my ticket, asked the officer to see the radar (which they're supposed to let you see) obviously he didn't have one, that's when i would have told the officer that i would see him in court & that i will claim innocence. Court rooms have their place for a reason.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, she was being a little uncooperative (getting out of the car when she's supposed to stay in, then getting back in when he wanted her out), BUT...it seems like the taser was probably unnecessary as she didn't seem to be getting physical. He could have tried to work w/ her a little more before resorting to that, especially since she didn't seem to be drunk or have weapons or any other factors that would have made her seem threatening toward him. She probably had an attitude with him, and I'm sure it ticked him off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well I cant really judge because i wasnt there and you cant hear what happen between the two or see what happen from the start of the stop! But, I agree that she prob got an attitude with him! On the same note I agree that he went a little far!
    I personally would of said I dont have a cell phone officer and left it at that. Then for the speeding I would of just taken it and gone to court. Simple as that! She should of never got out of her car no matter what! The simple fact that she asked to see the video during the stop just says to me that she more then likely had an attitude! Again, tho the cop should of given her the ticket and gone about his business!
    She didnt seem to upset about her kids and I think that was a bit of a messed up move to tell the cop not to do this in front of her kids! Sweerheat, you started it from what I can see. Also you have control over yourself, why did you do that in front of your kids?
    JaidedMomOf2

Answer by JaidedMomOf2 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I just watched the video...didn't want my children to see it in case it WAS "disturbing" and the first thing that came to mind, was what was she thinking?! Who gets out of their car after being pulled over and demands to see the dashcam tape?! Answer...someone with an attitude! You never question an officer, or defy him after he says "you're under arrest!"

When he tazered her the first time, she barely flinched--she was wearing a heavy winter coat! She did not get down on the ground, she was not incapable of moving--in fact she attempted to get back in her car afterward!

How did the cop know that she wasn't reaching for a weapon? Cops cannot ASSUME anything! If she followed the officer's instructions, (on a residential street in broad daylight), then everything could have easily been sorted out.

Cops KNOW they're actions are being recorded. Next time maybe she'll comply.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• gee, was this a cop who acted "stupidly" or does that make me a racist for saying that? Because he DID act STU{IDLY. There was no reason to taser her, she was no threat to him....AND did NOTHING illegal.....
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

You and your party are who call everyone racists.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2009