teaching time?

There's a LOT of products out there.... can someone recommend something they used to teach their kiddo time? Mine are 3 and 4 1/2 and totally ready/curious but I feel like I need a visual aid of some kind

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have an old cd program called "I can tell time" that my girls used on the computer to learn to tell time. Of course, they were a few years older when they covered this,but you know your children. I would probably google something like, "teaching preschoolers to tell time". Most importantly just like with any skill being taught, keep it fun and hands on activities involving movement. Keep activities to 15-30 minutes
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• leap frog dvd's letter factory my son learned his abc's and sounds from that dvd it's great, I bought couple of them at a yard sale for 25 cents and let me tell you I would pay $15 how well it teaches your kids stuff.
    I also got hooked on phonics learn how to read I'm working with him right now, it's really spendy but I got it at goodwill for $25 and it usually cost $300.
    you can find good deals on learning stuff for kids at thrift shops and you can save a butt load of money to.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i love all the leapfrog products...they are all geared towards learning in a fun way! my daughter had the big stuffed frog that had the alphabet on his tummy...she learned it so fast with that toy!!!! plus the magnets that would go on the fridge, they were wonderful too! But my favorite was the leapfrog electronic book. You could buy books for this thing and cartridges and this book would grow with your kids...its awesome!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are a lot of products out there. Leap Frog is a brand I trust, but you don't have to go to all the expense. All you need to help teach them time is a paper plate and some thing to use as the hands on the clock. This is how I learned when I was in preschool, and how I taught my siblings and plan to teach my kids.
    http://www.sproutonline.com/sprout/crafts/detail.aspx?id=e3509410-4572-4a9e-be56-99cc00ab6b2a
    http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/clocks/clock/
    Hope this helps.
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There is something called a "Molly Clock" available at educational stores for just a couple of dollars. When you move the little hand, the big hand moves accordingly. Then just explain that it's all based on 60. 60 secs in a min and 60 min in an hour. Until they understand how much 60 is, I think it's too early. Also good to show the corresponding times shown on a digital clock as you are teaching because that's what they'll usually see!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:55 AM on Aug. 26, 2009