How can I condition my baby to be comfortable sleeping outside of the house?

My daughter is 3 weeks shy of her first birthday. We're out a lot. We go places often and we're often gone most of the day. When she was still little she would sleep *anywhere*...literally anywhere. When we'd be out, she's take a quick nap in her stroller or in my arms and then wake up refreshed again. Now that she's older, more aware and mobile she refuses to sleep anywhere but her crib or in her car seat in a moving car. No matter how tired and fussy she is she still refuses to take a nap while we're out. I try to make sure that she's *just* woken up from a nap and very well rested before we leave so I have time to get things done before she starts getting fussy for another nap again, but often there's just no avoiding it.

Crystal2509

Asked by Crystal2509 at 5:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unfortunately there isnt much you can do. Your child is at an age where they are more aware of their likes and dislikes...plus now she is probably more mobile, so when brought somewhere she doesnt want to miss a thing and will fight sleep. The only thing you can do is try to have certain items she sleeps with (cuddle blanket, stuffed toy) and it may help her. Otherwise try to be home around her nap time. Unfortunately this is a problem all mothers have dealt with at one point or another....it sounds like your doing the best you can as it is.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter is the same way, but now that yours is almost a year she doesn't need as many naps as she did when she was just a few months old. My daughter has pretty much gotten rid of her morning nap, she plays hard, swims, eats lunch then takes a nice long afternoon nap. she also catnaps whenever we're in the car....don't worry so much.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter hates sleeping anyway else. Until I figured out she was worried she would be left out. So I would go and show her wear everyone else was sleeping, and it worked she still wasn't thrilled but she was willing to sleep in other places. Every time we go somewhere I show and tell her were we all are sleeping and it works, but she is 20 now. It is an easy thing and I hope it helps you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009