flip-switch!

I run an on-line business, from my home. Im a "branding" consultant. When the economy was at its best, the company was making great money and people supported the idea. Now the economy has fallen out, of course my business like many others have slowed down considerably. I have been looking for an outside job to help. I believe our country will recover but it will take time. My on-line business has supported my family for the last five years very nicely, but this last year it has been a struggle. When I explain what I have been doing..Im met with frowns and told thats NOT a job! Why do some people think that a stay at home on-line business is not a job? I work very hard to maintain my customer base and grow my business. They didnt think that way 5 years ago when I was making 3-5,ooo a month. Do any of you...get met with the same attitude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not really. The reason you are receiving this type of response is that there is no way to back up your experience. You can say you made 3-5,000 per month, but I doubt anyone would believe you. The only type of experience you can say from your business is that you have excellent customer service. Otherwise, the rest does not count in a potential employer's eyes. I mean, if I don't believe you, I am sure a potential employer would not either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation. Feel free to contact me directly –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 1:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009