Should I let my 4 yr old go to Pre-K

Okay here is the deal, we rent and our lease is up in November, but we are being "pushed" to get out sooner. There isn't much happening for rent in the area, and my son is due to start school on Sept 8th. I am facing a dilemma of whether or not to start him in school. He is already registered and everything, but hubby is concerned that it may affect him psychologically if we have to pull him out in a couple weeks.
My theory is that he makes friends and adjusts to changes very easily, and I want him to get a head start so that he is definitely ready for kindergarten next year. Plus if I don't at least start him in this area then when we move he won't be able to attend at all.

I am at a loss I don't want to hurt his psychologically, but I feel as if he would be okay. PLEASE HELP!

My2BoyznMe0508

Asked by My2BoyznMe0508 at 7:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Preschool teacher here.....yes, start him.

If you dont make pulling him out a big deal, then HE wont think its a big deal. I mean its the same as when summer starts and they QUIT going.

Act like its a normal part of the process for him and he will think it is.

Kids get over stuff easier and way before adults do. They are resilient and go with whatever flow their parents lay out for them.

Preschool is a wonderful way to prepare your son for K next year. Despite what others say about not having pre-K...you child WILL have an advantage.

In our county schools clamor over our students and teachers beg for them in their classrooms b/c we have prepared them so well that they come in knowing how to go to school! it is a huge compliment to us ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yes, I would send him. The time around other children would be good for him. Children change schools and neighborhoods all the time and do just fine. He won't have time to form close friends anyway, but the time he does have there he'll meet other children and learn more about other people. You could ask the teacher before school starts, or ask the principal what they would recommend.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yes send him! He will be totally fine! People today seem to forget that our kids will be just fine and that we dont have to cuddle them and guard them every step of the way! Plus, he will do SO much better in K then he would without it! My daughter is starting Pre K this year and she cant wait! Also, we are army so our kids will be changing schools alot. LOL But I think you should take him and just dont make a big deal out of it!
    JaidedMomOf2

Answer by JaidedMomOf2 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2009