I think I may have made a HUGE mistake.. HELP!

My son has been sleeping with me for the past 2 months. He HATES his crib and we tried the pack n play and he would only sleep in there for 2-3 hours. So he came to bed with me, now he sleeps through the night & only wakes up once. He also will NOT take a bottle and he does drink from a sippy (He's 1) and I want to start weaning but I don't even know how. I've put milk in a sippy he takes a few sips and throws it.

I just feel like I didnt do things the way I should have and now I may have to pay. I just wanted him to be happy, so I did whatever made him happy, not what made me happy.

Am I wrong for that?

Any ideas and/or advice?

I may not wean for awhile, not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm having the exact same problem. Mine will be 13 months tomorrow, still sleeps in the bed with us, wakes up once at night and wants to be nursed back to sleep, but he does drink milk from a sippy. I feel like I should have just left him in his crib when he was younger instead if putting him in my bed, he would be okay. I'm not sure what to do either, but if you want to talk some more, just send me a message. Sorry I have no advice, but maybe we can exchange ideas!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are times when you have to make hard choices that are best for the child but that they will not like. Doing everything just to make him happy leaves you with a miserable ,spoiled brat. My advice is don't change everything at once. One thing at a time. The first is get him out of your bed. He is capable of sleeping through. He's just used to having you there. There will be tears. You put him in the crib tell him it's time for night night or whatever weords you use for bedtime a hug, a kiss, lay down, walk out. Let him cry. After 10 mins walk in DO NOT pick him up. Comfort him and say its time to go to sleep..walk out. You may offer a sip of water . You do this over and over. The first time will be hard, really hard. He will know you are there but don't give in. The times will get longer in between and usually within 3 nights thery are down within 20 mins. I know the anti-cio nazis will bash..but it works. I've done it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• One sugguestion that worked for me (though my DS was 6 months old when I moved him to his crib)...I gave him one of my t-shirts to snuggle up to since it smelled like I did. I figured he had 6 months to get used to being next to me & that if he at least had something of mine, it may comfort him. It worked too well...its like his blankie now. Still carries it around :) Just a thought!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I remember a neighbor who had let her son, who was about 2 at the time, run the place. What he wanted to do, they did, because it kept him smiling. Then one day she realized that keeping him smiling wasn't a good goal. She told me that she realized that she "had a vote", too. and that as the adult, that her ability to see the consequences of policies should take precedence over what the child desired at that moment. The particular event that showed this to her was when she was talking with a neighbor and her son kept tugging at her and whining to move on, she realized, hey! the child was not the one in charge, she was. Children want and need boundaries and limits.

Answer by Bmat at 9:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my little one is almost 15months and im trying to wean too but i think she went threw a growth spurt becouse all she want to do is nurse now,i did have my supply down,but i think its going back up,i sleep better knowing baby is right by me,i plan on moving her to her toddler bed when she is potty trained,then to her own room when she starts school.have you tried adding strawberry suyrup?my little one likes those breakfast mixes you mix with milk.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:09 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my DD is almost 13 months old. i co-slept with her until she was almost 8 months old. then i realized she was way to used to it. i switched her to her bed but i had to lay with her until she fell asleep. thats the habit we had to break. i did the cry it out for maybe two days and now shes perfectly fine. she will whine some nights but its maybe for 10 secs. with the sippy cup/bottle thing, she hated the sippy too we tried almost every different kind to see what she like. we finally found one and only offered her her drinks in them. she would refuse at first but always drank it when she got thirsty. i hope this helps in some way. GL momma
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• as for the bed thing, my daughter learned how to climb out of her crib to come sleep with me. so i got a bed the same size as mine( which is a queen) and put it in her room. she hasnt slept with me since. but the idea of weaning all i did was let her choose. i gave the choice between a sippy or a straw cup. she did both. some childern are not ready to let go of the bottle at the age of one. give it a little more time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm a cosleeping mom, and I have already taken two boys out of our bed. We're currently sleeping with our newborn and he won't be moved out of our bed until we're ready for it. You have a crib, so you're solution is an easy one. You have formed a habit, and now you need to form a new habit. To break an old habit into a new one takes time. Hopefully, your crib side railing can lower, right? Lower this or take it off completely. Push the crib against your bed at the height of your mattress. Let your DS fall asleep as he usually does. Wait at LEAST 30 minutes of him being asleep before trying this, or you'll wake him up completely and have to do it again. After he's asleep, gently push, slide, or pick him up and place him in the crib that's now against your bed. Lay there with your hand on him so he knows you haven't left. This might get a bit uncomfortable, but you need to wait 15 minutes before removing your hand. CONT:
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Do this exact thing for 10 days. This causes a new habit to form. He will start to recognize the crib as attached to your bed and still safe. Next step is to have him fall asleep in the crib, still against your bed. Remember to have your arm on him while he's falling asleep. Do for 10 days. Now you need to switch the comfort of your hand to something he can sleep with, like a blanket or toy. Lay next to him, but have the blanket or toy in the crib with him instead of your hand. Another 10 days. Higher the bar that had been lowered or removed to make it into a crib again. Don't move it away from your bed. Do for 10 days. Move the crib against a wall in your room where he can still see your bed. Do for 10 days. Now you can move the crib into his room. He has his comfort object, he is used to his bed again, and he should now be comfortable and not scared. CONT:
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• If he doesn't take a bottle, then what are you weaning him from? Breastmilk? I am confused by the second part of your statement.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009