how do I break my 2 year old of the pacifier?

Mommy02924

Asked by Mommy02924 at 8:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mine had a hard time with it and we tried everything, finely I just threw them away, 2 days later it was totally forgotten
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Fortunately, we were able to just straight up take away the pacifier from her, and after two days, she stopped asking about it. She also had another item she was already attached too, though, so that helped, I think.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 9:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my friends son is very attached to the binkie. the doctor told her to cut a little bit of the nipple of everytime you give it to them and they wont want it. it worked with her son you could give that a shot.
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There is no fool proof way of weaning a baby off of a pacifier. But it is definately going to get harder and harder, the longer you wait. My advice would be to just throw them away. For a few nights you may have to suffer through your babies whining and throwing fits but after a while, it will be totally forgotten. One thing that I will worry about though, it when your child gets around a baby that does have a pacifier, he or she may try to take it from them! Good luck Mommy!
    7.12.08

Answer by 7.12.08 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My pediatrician tells us to wean them from the paci at 18 months old and he says just to take it and not give it back. So that's what I did with my first baby. It was 2 very unpleasant weeks, then all was fine.

My second baby is now 16 months old and now I've learned about slow weaning from the paci. I started today. He now only gets the paci for nap times and bed time. After he stops crying for it and expecting it throughout the day, then I'm going to take it away at nap time. After a week of no paci during naps, I'm going to take it at bed time too...then NO MORE PACI.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I just got my daughters off the bink about 2 wks ago!!!!! They are 2 and 3 1/2 and we lost one and the other had a hole so I just threw it away!! They have not asked for it since, I am so excited!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• At about 13 or 14 months I took away the paci, i started out just giving it to her at bedtime and naps, then just took it away for good. It made getting her to sleep more difficult, but it is best to get them off the paci as soon as you can, my daughter started talking more after I took it away.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 6:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2009