Anyone else notice this??

This drives me CRAZY!!! Anyone else notice that the school supplies requested by teachers are SO specific that they are hard to find? My third grader needs watercolors, Prang brand only, can't find them. She needs crayons, a box of 16, no larger. The box of 24 crayons of course is on sale for 10 cents, but the box of 16 is $1.99. She needs 2 green pens....Do you know how hard it is to find 2 green pens??? Sorry to complain, I'm just a frustrated Mommy! :)

emnasmom

Asked by emnasmom at 8:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in

• Just get her the 24 crayons and if the teacher complains, take out the 8 extra crayons and say "OK, now it's only 16. There you go."
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:56 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• lol i hate that the lists are getting sooo long ours arent brand specific but she needed 3 bags of pet food 5 bottles of hand sanitizer... and a box of papaer!

2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 9:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• LMAO we actually called a parent teacher meeting one year over the specificity of these lists. One teacher actually said during the meeting that she asked for Kleenex brand tissues because she "tended" to have an allergy to the "off brand" tissues - One mother just bellowed out..."Excuse ME"!? The whole room went quiet and that mom stood up and said "Since when are we buying tissues for YOU?" The the whole thing almost turned to chaos. As a result our school district sent out a letter (To the parent of THAT school), that specific brand shopping for school supplies was not necessary. That crap used to piss me off sooooo bad - back then teachers asked for 2 boxes of kleenex PER 6 WEEKS - when I calculated how many boxes I had sent to the school (with two kids) over 7 years - I refused to buy another single box. Yes, they are ridiculous - and I just stopped putting up with it - if a teacher insisted I told HER to buy it
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My daughter started kindergarten and was given a ridiculous list of like 12 glue sticks, 2 bottles of glue, 4 packs of little crayons, 1 pack of big crayons, clorox wipes 2 canisters and 3 boxes of Kleenex, plus notebooks, folders, ruler, sharpener, pencils, pencil box...etc So we go and buy as much as we can find...go to the Kindergarten tea (like a meet and greet) and are given a list of 2 pencils, 1 box kleenex, 1 pack of crayons, nap mat and a pencil box and THEN we're told please don't send in all those "neat" little extras it's just unnecessary. I'm like WTH I just bought all this crap!!! I sent it all anyways...let them tell her to take it home.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• hahahahaha, there are some anal people in this world, and most of them are teachers/professors! Get what you can find and if you have to get extra or a different brand then tell the teacher to use all that lottery money that's supposed to go to the schools to buy the kids stuff!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We haven't really had that problem yet. They usually specify Friskars scissors but I buy whatever is cheapest. The kindergarten teacher did specify 8 crayons and almost no one sells boxes of 8 in the regular size. I looked all summer and was about to give up and just take out the 8 colors from one of the many boxes of 24 that we have (stocked up on those when they were $.20 each) and finally found some at Michaels on sale. Then at Target the other day they had a whole bunch but for like $1 each. When did crayons get so freaking expensive?
    One of the hardest items to find this year was an expanding file folder with at least 8 pockets. Grr. All the cute ones had only 7 pockets and the next bigger size had 11-14 pockets and were huge and ugly. That was for my 4th grader. Oh and I still can't find addition and subtraction cards that go over the 10s for my 2nd grader.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Make the addition and subtraction cards...it's really simple or check a dollar tree if there are any near you.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'm SO glad to hear that I'm not alone in this! My dd also needed 3 dozen sharpened Dixon Ticonderoga pencils, and I am not about to sit and sharpen 3 dozen pencils! So you can buy them already sharpened, but only in an 18 pack....And I'm still looking for the Prang watercolors!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 10:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't buy the brand that the lists say. I buy what is on sale when I see it. If the teacher has a problem with it then we will talk about it. I don't see what differenceRoseart crayons have over Crayola for example. Maybe the brand she is looking for has more colors? Who knows. If you can't find the watercolor set ask the teacher on the first day of school.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I received William's list last week and asked her what was really needed on the list. My reason and she understood was I didn't have the money right now. I think if you let the teacher's know up front that you can't buy all of this stuff right away many will be understanding.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009