your childs first dentist appt.?

My 4 year old is going to the dentist today I was just wondering what they do their first visit and how old was your children when they went to dentist her doc just said she needs to go b/f her 4 year old check up and she just turned 4 but all the dentist website says take them at 1??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both of my kids went around 18 months for the first time. They did the normal cleaning-the best the could on wiggling kids-and showed them how to brush.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• all dentists reccomend for them to go as soon as they have teeth...dont worry about that though
    my youngest saw the dentist when she was 3...and it was horrible...she was scared and screamed the entire time...but the dentist was AWESOME....because she was screaming he could see in her mouth...LOL they just looked at her teeth real quick and that was it...they said they werent going to do a cleaning untill she was a little older because she was so upset...
    well now she is six and had her first FULL checkup....they did poke her teeth with a sharp pick, (wich she sat beautifully through) then put sealents on her teeth, and then cleaned them. they also taught her the proper way to floss and gave her a goody bag full of stuff....she did BEAUTIFULLY! and to top it off...no cavities!
    just take to heart your dentist will only do as much as your child allows...they are good like that!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My dd went for the first time at about 2 1/2. They cleaned her teeth, showed her how to brush, and counted her teeth. My dd loved it!!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 9:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son was 2 before i took him. they counted his teeth, looked at them, and that as pretty much it. they probably would have done more but my son is terrified of drs and hospitals (too many hospital stays) so they didnt do anything that would traumatize him.

SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son first went around 11 months old.. It was just a basic look in his mouth , check his teeth and that was it, He had his first cleaning at 1 year old and has been going every 6 months since then. WIth her being 4 they will probably clean her teeth, apply fluoride treatment, and probably take an xray.

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son went when he was almost 3, then almost 4 (this summer) they clean the teeth, check for issues, and do floride, i would suggest a pedi-dentist because they are set up for little guys, it was not as bad as an adult dentist..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009