ARE'NT CHRISTIANS ALLOWED TO BEFRIEND WHO EVER THEY CHOOSE?

IS IT PART OF CHRISTIANITY TO PICK AND CHOOSE FRIENDS BECAUSE SUCH FRIENDS DON'T BELEIVE AS THEY DO? IS IT PART OF CHRISTIANITY TO REPRIMAND YOU PERSONALLY FOR CHOOSING A FRIEND YOU DON'T APPROVE OF? SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR WHO THEY CREATE A BOND WITH IF THEY HAVE DIFFERENT BELEIFS?

Asked by older at 9:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I've had people distance themselves from me because I'm not as openly passionate about my beliefs as they are. I believe that faith is personal, it's between me and GOD. And those that distance themselves from me, I believe that I dont' need them anymore than they need me. I figure it's their loss not mine
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• From how I was raised, we are to be friends with whomever we chose...God put them into our lives for a reason. We are to live by the "golden rule" of doing onto others as we would have them do onto us. (Matthew 7:12) I am not a "preachy" person, but maybe how I live my life will be an example to others, and will help them in their journey.
    almemoore

Answer by almemoore at 10:06 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I was also raised that you can befriend whoever BUT your closest friends should be Christians as well. This was for the reasoning that you want friends that are going to build you up and encourage you in your faith. I have had lots of friends that are not Christians, whether from work or whatever, but the people I hang out with all the time, on regular basis, are Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• ANON, WHAT ABOUT IF SUCH FRIENDSHIP IS BASED ON MUTUAL RESPECT FOR WHAT THEY BOTH FEEL PASSIONATE ABOUT, WHY DOES RELIGION OR FAITH HAVE TO PLAY A PART IN A FRIENDSHIP?

Answer by older at 10:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (This is a different anon than the one above.) It is hard to be friends with people who aren't Christian. I gradually drifted away from my friends after I was saved. Non Christians might use God's name in vain too much, party, extramarital affairs, too much interest in material things, etc. I don't want to hang out with a friend that I constantly causes me to cringe when talking to them. And, they don't want to hear my Christian advice.
    I hope that helps you some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• As a Christian my faith is what I am passionate about so that is who I would befriend. And you can have friends that don't believe like you do, as I said, but for me, I want my close friends to be those that are going to hold me accountable and keep me where I want to be in my relationship with God and not cause me stumble.
    Anonymous

• ANON 10:27, HOW CAN A FRIENDSHIP BASED ON MUTUAL RESPECT FOR OUR PASSIONS CAUSE YOU TO STUMBLE?

Answer by older at 10:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Of all the religions, Christianity is the most divided.  It is divided between those who embrace their faith and enrich their lives and those who wield it as a weapon or a tool to achieve their own selfish agendas.  The two will never mesh.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (This is a different anon than the one above.) It is hard to be friends with people who aren't Christian.   I'm an atheist and my best friend is a Christian.  We've been best friends since we were 14 and we're now 45.

I gradually drifted away from my friends after I was saved.   Have you ever stopped to consider the reason for this? 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:07 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Non Christians might use God's name in vain too much,   your friends would know that you find that disrespectful and would not do it in your presence  party,   define "party" and what exactly is wrong with it.  extramarital affairs,  if you think Christians don't have affairs then you are delusional  too much interest in material things,  you mean like televangelists etc.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2009