Your Opinions

What do you think when you hear INFANT ADOPTION? Are you for/against it? Do you believe that there are things wrong with it (if so, what)?

What do you think of the birth parents? Their age? Their financial status? Their reasons for adoption? Their pros/cons? Anything else?

What do you think of the adoptive parents? Their age? Their financial status? Their reasons for adoption? Their pros/cons? Anything else?

I see in the Adoption section people talking about how there are these stereotypes of each the birth and adoptive parents. I've never heard much of these until coming to Cafemom. I'm asking this in General Parenting hoping to get people to see this who aren't in the Adoption triad because I want to hear what non-Adoption triad members think -- or at least ones that don't constantly hang out in the Adoption section.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't really understand the question, but I will tell you that I think parents who adopt children are among the most compassionate people alive. One of my daughters-in-law is an adopted child. She has had a wonderful relationship with her adoptive parents and has never wanted to even know who her birth parents are. I have a young couple with whom we are friends who have adopted two babies from Korea because they could not get children in the states, and they are among the best young parents I know. My next-door neighbors adopted two children about 40 years ago, and they were way too lenient with their children, just as many birth parents are. They have had made poorer choices than their parents would have liked, but it was because of the lack of boundaries more than anything else. I think the bottom line is how we choose to parent, rather than when or whatever the other circumstances may be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I gave my daughter up for adoption because I was only 15 years old. Also my mom was a single mom and barely could afford us. It was definatley a difficult expierence and not everyone can do it but I wouldn't change it for the world. I still keep in contact with her and she just turned 10. The adoptive parents are wealthy. He's a veternarian and she's a nurse. They couldn't have any more kids so they went through the adoption process for almost 7 years and almost gave up. I see her about once a year a she knows who I am and always have.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Giving a child up for adoption is the greatest act of love.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009