labor without an epidural?

do you get any kind of pain medicine or anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i got demoral(spelling) no epidural,it made me throw up and by the time i was done i was ready to push,it went so fast i never felt any pain
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are lots of different meds out there that can take the edge off labor pains.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sure, I got an epidural, but it didn't work! So I basically had my daughter with no pain meds!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had an epidural both times.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i had an epidural with no other pain meds. you can ask your midwife/doctor what your options are because they vary. i did have a shot of local anesthetic after birth before she stitched up a minor tear though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I didnt have an epidural. I had something in my iv once. It didnt really help. Then my daughters heartrate was low so they wouldnt give me anything. So I had her with nothing.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No pain meds, natural births.
    Well, waterbirthing IS a pain reliever, just not a medicated form, lol!
    Water is really awesome!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No mediation at all. My last birth was almost pain free!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:05 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i am anon 10:47 and i meant to say i had NO EPIDURAL so i'll redo here is what i meant to say:

i did not have an epidural with no other pain meds. you can ask your midwife/doctor what your options are because they vary. i did have a shot of local anesthetic after birth before she stitched up a minor tear though.

i'm sorry to be so confusing! i really liked it without the epidural because it cut down on a lot of other interventions/risks. like the baby getting distressed, having to get a catheter, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had no pain meds, and it hurt. But the side effects of pain meds are not fully disclosed when you get them. I preferred my natural birth over my epidural birth. I was in control of me - not some drug. But if you go natural you need to be able to move around. It's very important! Our bodies will tell us how to move to effectively get the baby down (rocking hips, swaying, squatting, etc). You also tend to push much longer when you've had pain meds, because you can't feel to effectively push. I pushed for an hour when I had an epidural, and for 10 minutes without. It hurt, but it is soooo worth it!
    boogiebearlove

Answer by boogiebearlove at 11:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009