how did your boss/coworkers react?

sorry this is a repeat but i don't know how else to bump it and i would like more input! thanks!

if you work outside of the home, how did your boss react when you told them you were pregnant and you would be taking a maternity leave? please share any stories.

with my first i was SOOO nervous. i was in grad school, working part time for a professor. i was so nervous to tell all of my professors, including the one i worked for. i would get all sweaty and shaky before telling them but then everyone was super supportive.

now i just started my job 2 months ago and i am going to try to get pregnant soon. but i'm really nervous about telling my boss again. especially if i end up having my maternity leave before i've even been there for 1 year. which is definitely a possibility if we are lucky with TTC. i guess i should have learned from my first son that i over-react, but what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first I got harrased til I quit . I was later told it was because they couldnt just fire me .
    With my second (different job) The employees mocked me and I had to do allt eh heavey lifting so I had to quit
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My boss, was an A-hole, but he knew he couldn't fire me, so he would bump my hours down to PTime, then to Full Time, and back and forth, till I took maternity leave. He screwed me everyway he could, but I did get a good reference letter! The co-worker's were fine with it and were excited about the little one, couldn't wait to meet her, plus they all respected me.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My boss is a man, and I work in a male induastry, and he didnt say anything, not congratulations, not how are you, not anything...just okay...he is a very sorry boss, and just does not care about anything or anyone here...I work in the office, but i am upstairs from him, so he sees me maybe once a day and then just walks by me...I HATE IT! I told him in Jan, and my 1 year mark was in May...BUT there is nothing he cando about it! He could fire me, BUT i could draw unemployment if he does...but back in May I broke my foot andd was off work until 3 weeks ago since he wanted the guys to CARRY ME up the stairs when i was 5 months pregnant instead of me working downstairs!!! So ridiculous!

But he had no reaction, just seemed annoyed by it...then his daughter came up pregant about 3 months later! HA!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 11:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• With my first, I was worried because I'd just gotten a promotion, so I waited a few weeks to tell my boss, but then I couldn't hold it in any longer so I went ahead and told him, and he was fine with it. At that point, there was still plenty of time to plan and train someone else to take care of my duties while I was out, so it wasn't a big deal. With my second, I found out about a job I really wanted a few weeks after I found out I was pregnant; I didn't mention it during the interview, but I told my boss on my first day of work, and all she had to say was "congratulations". I think the earlier you tell your boss, the more time he'll have to get used to the idea, and the better off you'll be in the long run. If you wait and spring it in on him when you don't have any choice, he might resent you for that. But that's just my opinion, I don't know what kind of person your boss is. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I was nervous to tell my boss. I had told EVERYBODY at work and they were all laughing and joking about why I hadnt told my boss yet (I was kinda scared of her bc she is kind of "motherly" to all of us). So I came in one morning about 15 minutes early and it was just me and her and a few other ppl and I jokingly said "So have you taken your thyroid medicine this morning?" bc we had a conversation the day before about how she's a total bitch when she dont take it, so of course I got "the look" and then I was like umm well your gonna have to put up with me whining and complaining even more the next 9 months (she says I whine to much, like her kids). She wasnt mad and she hasnt said anything bad to me about it and doesnt complain when I have to take off to go to the dr. The fear was all in my head.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They were ecstatic! Even when with my first pregnancy, my boss was excited for me and I had been working less than a year. I never felt nervous about telling her or my co-workers that I was expecting. I simply didn't have a reason to.

MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009