Who pays for transport when the mom moves and takes kids?

My husbands ex wants to move and take the kids out of state, she has physical custody, but they share legal. Current order says she cant take the kids out of state. She is gonna petition. If the judge allows this, who usually pays for transportation to get the kids back to California to see their dad? They are too young to fly "unacompanied minor", the mom wants to move to Alabama from California...he see's them one weekend a month and all holidays (because she lives 6hrs away currently, but now wants to move to the other side of the country)...how is this gonna work? How will transport work, who pays, and what do you do if they are too young to fly alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess if the judge allows it and the Father wants to see them, he will have to pay.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Dad can ask that mom be 100% responsible for travel costs since Mom is the one creating the distance. Most of the time the judge will grant it. If your husband is already paying part of the cost for the current travel, I'd figure out what the difference is between what he's paying now and what it will cost when she moves and ask that she be responsible for that. Can't hurt, right? Worst thing the judge can do is say no. Since they can't fly alone Mom will have to buy herself a ticket to get them there, and your husband will either have to do the same or get it into the new agreement that she has to come get them(at her expense). If Dad can get all that, Mom may decided that the move isn't such a good idea.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• What a mess, sooooo sorry you're going through this.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thats horrible! Im not sure who pays but Im sorry for the kids, they will suffer a strained relationship because of this.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think it depends of what the judge decides. My friend's ex is suppose to pay for the costs of getting the kids to see him, but he was the one who chose to move to another state.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:03 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My husband is responsible for the kids travel. I had a great job in Cali but was downsized so I could no longer afford to live there. My kids father and his wife both make a lot of money and assumed I should be able to live on unemployment and the small amount of child support he sent. I could not afford to live in Cali and petitioned so I could move to Iowa and get back on my feet in my parents home. I was granted that and my husband was responsible for all travel. He was the reason we divorced he was having an affair with his current wife. They didn't like it but they fly out here once a month for 5 days and see the kids in a hotel. They get the kids every other holiday and 4 weeks in the summer. I have a good job here in Iowa and just bought a beautiful home. My ex and his wife both agreed the move was good for the kids and are not giving me grief anymore. I do pay for the kids to fly there sometimes now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My husband's ex took my ss out of state. When he would come to visit she would more times then not pay for the ticket. However, when we went on vacation to Orlando he flew down on our dime since it was our vacation. This was not done through a judge it was just the arrangement that worked for all of us. If things had been ideal she would have stayed but she didn't want. My husband chose not to fight and because of that she picked up the slack.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• This is why I hate divorce! The poor kids always get drug into the middle of their parents ridiculous selfishness and immaturity! Pisses me off because I'm going through something similar! I wish people who are supposed to be ADULTS could get their head out of their ass and realize the damage they're doing to their poor children! Stubborn, selfish, inconsiderate, immature, petty, vindictive and spiteful...GROW UP!  Kids aren't stupid...one day they'll realize the HELL they've been put through and will be resentful!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I hope the judge WON'T ALLOW you to take the kids away from their daddy! That's horrible! Just because things didn't work out between the two of you, and you don't love him anymore, doesn't mean the kids don't need, want and love him. Stay put, suck it up and find a way to make it work for the kids' sake! You have no right to take the kids away from their father!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i no longer talk to my mother or any of the members on my side of the family because of being caught in the middle of a nasty divorce! parents don;t seem to think that their children will one day grow up, develop a backbone, and say enough already...then, like my mother, be left without anything....payback is a biatch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009