Did a lactation consultant visit you after you delivered?

In the hospital - it's standard practice where I live for a lactation consultant to come in and watch you breastfeed, give you any help/pointers you need, and leave their card in case you have any problems. I've just been surprised at the number of questions because she answered all of mine - is this not common?

Asked by missanc at 10:50 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lactation consultant came to see us, but was of no help at all. She was completely unable to help get my baby to latch. I tried everything we could think of. I eventually gave up and pumped exclusively for 7 mos. I am glad that someone was able to help you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Yes, with both kids the consultant came and was of great help to me... I also had to call her a month or so later for some more help and she was very happy to assist me. I had great support from the hospital where I delivered and was thankfully successful breastfeeding both my kids... DD until she was 13 months and DS is still going at 2.5 (gasp). I also took the breastfeeding class while pregnant with my first and used The Nursing Mother's Companion. I think all the knowledge and help you can get is crucial in being successful.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• they sent a lactation consultant in to talk to me b/c i was having problems getting my daughter to latch on right. She really didnt help much. That night i had a nice older nurse she is the one that ended up helping me.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son had the hardest time learning how to nurse. He would latch on but never suck. He was too drowsy. My lactation consultant was an air head, I hate to say. Even when he was sucking he just wasn't getting it and she was no help at all. She gave me formula coupons. haha We eventually got a hang of it ourselves.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• OMG, formula coupons, Bluelady that is horrible!!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Something I find funny is how most of the lactation consultants at our local hospital are really young with no kids. I laughed so hard when I found that out.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• nope, didnt visit me at all, the nurse watched while he latched on for the first time, suggested football hold at one point (I cant remember why but it did help)... then she told us we were doing great and that was that, of course I had absolutely no problems (until my milk came in and I found out I had overactive letdown but that was easily remmedied and we were home by then anyway) so I had no need for one
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 11:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thje hospital I delivered in sent a lactation consultant to all moms an hour after birth.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I delivered just before midnight so the nurse helped us the first time. But an LC came and saw us at least once a day for the four days we were there. They also left their name and phone number on a dry erase board in our room and were very responsive whenever I called them. I was very happy with ours.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My nurse was the lactation specialist. She helped quite a bit, but I still had problems at home and weight gain issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009