Preschool Question

My son is about to be 4 in November and I think part of the reason why he's so sensitive about everything is because he needs to be around other children and needs more socialization. Plus, I know that preschool will help his transition into kindergarden. My question is this. I have waited a little too long this school year to get him into the school I wanted. Now he's on a waiting list.

What's the best way for me to search for a good preschool? AND
If the school has openings now with school about to start, does that mean the school probably isn't that great? Don't most of the good ones have waiting lists?

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just because they have openings doesn't mean the school is bad, no.. Some parents either move last minute, change their mind and pull their kids out or the preschool just doesn't fill up as quickly as others do.

KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:24 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I work at a quality preschool and there are openings this year b/c of the ecomony. So, don't worry about openings equaling a bad school. The best way to get a feel for the school is to visit. Talk to the director, teachers, and possibly someone who has had children there before. Check out thier routine, discipline prcedures, and policies. I think that you will find one that you can relate to and feel comfortbale with! Good luck!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Also, just bc a school has a waiting list don't assume it's a great school. I worked at Primrose preschool with a waiting list and it was an awful school. But some parents care more about reputation then about what is actually going on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son's school is excellent and has openings but that is because it is expensive. i work in a crappy charter school that has a wait list, i wouldnt send my kid to a school just because of a list. there is the "greatschools.com" webpage to read other parents reviews but it is sometimes lacking info.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I agree with the other posts. Go in and judge for yourself. Watch the teachers in action. Is the classroom organized? Are the kids under control? Ask about what they teach? Ask about their schedule? I responded to you other post about him being sensitive and I think this will be good for him. Like I said before, he wont feel as much liberty to cry over the small stuff. Also dont hesitate to let his teacher know up front that hes very sensitive. That way when the first meltdown comes, she wont be surprised and feel like shes done something wrong. It should only be half days though. I dont think kids need a whole day of preschool. I was considering it for my 3 yr old but only because he asked. I dont feel 3 yr olds need PS at all, but since hes potty trained, he began asking me about going to school. I figured 2-3 days a week wouldnt hurt. Im not sure we have the money though. My oldest 2 go to private school. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009