Do your kids go to public school, private school, or home school?

If private what type? Why did you choose this option?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in

• My kids go to a French immersion private school. We chose it because we liked the French method of teaching, like that they offer both the French Baccalaureate and International Baccalaureate making it easier to go to college abroad if they choose, it's extremely challenging, and it's a multicultural environment. We're moving more and more towards a global economy and any leg up I can give my kids will be money well spent.
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 1:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My kids are doing Online Public School. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Home.

Reasons: I don't like the schools here. I don't like the way schools are operated in general. I want my kids to learn how to learn & love doing so.... not cram short-term memory for tests & be bored to death by dry textbooks in a windowless setting. I want my kids to be well-rounded in thier social skills by interacting with others of all ages & backgrounds rather than with one adult authority figure & 200 other kids the same age. I want my kids to be able to explore a topic to the fullest extent of their curiosity... not be told "ok, unit's over... you have to stop learning what you like & study this instead"

The list goes on & on.
    It's not for everyone, but it works for us. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Public schools; some of the best in the US.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:13 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Public - Magnet for my 6th grader and regular public school but one of the best in the city happens to be right across the street from our home and where my oldest finished her elementary career.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• homeschool, we started last week. I chose homeschooling to assure the quality of my kids' education, just one among many other reasons.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• home- because the schools around here are really bad, and my kids are the types that will do better with one on one attention.
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Public school for now. But we are looking into Catholic schools and home schooling.
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Home
    Reasons:
    1. Better & more well-rounded education then our local schools can provide
    2. Great socialization opportunities with people from various backgrounds & of different ages
    3. Their needs are met at home. They are both Gifted, both have ADHD, and my oldest also has Bipolar; the local schools simply can't meet their needs
    4. I don't want them attending religious schools, so private schools aren't an option
    5. In addition to their academics, they have time to follow their interests, do extra-curricular activities, be involved in the community & volunteer, and have free time to relax & just be kids, all without getting over scheduled

Homeschool isn't for everyone, but it's the best choice for us.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 6:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Homeschool because the schools here are awful and we believe that our children learn better with more one on one attention than they would receive in a public, or even private, school. It is not for every family but it works for us and we will continue to homeschool up until our children are ready to start college.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009