13 month old WILL NOT walk...any advice?

He has only been crawling since 10 months and had started to stand around the same time..it seems as though he is a little behind..what can I do to help him along?

7.12.08

Asked by 7.12.08 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nothing....my nephew didn't start walking until he was 17 months old GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Some babies walk late. Just keep encouraging him. He WILL walk when he is ready. To get my DD more independent and want to walk I would make her crawl everywhere. I wouldn't carry her. If she wanted to be a big girl I was going to treat her like one. Good look they all develop at different rates.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Don't worry, not everyone starts walking at the same time. My DS began crawling around 10 months also. He started walking when he was 14 months. You can try to put something he really likes across the room and see if he'll walk to it. Best Wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son didn't crawl until 11 months, he'd started standing up at 10 months, and he didn't walk until 14 months. He's 2 now, and is running and jumping like any normal toddler. I think 15 months is when the pedi may start worrying if he's not walking yet, but you've got some time before then. Give it a couple of months; I'm sure it'll happen soon. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• He'll walk eventually, every child is different. My son didn't start walking until 13-14 months...he does everything in his own time....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Sounds like he's on track. My daughter started walking around 13 months. She didn't really want to walk until she was in the 1 year old class at day care and watching the other kids. Offer push toys and praise for walking and take to play dates or classes where he sees other kids walking. He'll may be more excited about it if he seems more kids his age doing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son walked at 18 months. The NORMAL range for walking is between 9-18 months. The AVERAGE age is 12-14 months. I was so worried about my son walking and now he runs all over the place. I literally can't keep his still. So, don't worry and good luck!
    CVRsmommy

Answer by CVRsmommy at 11:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My DS didn't walk until he was 15 months. DD was standing in the middle of the floor at 16 months but not walking until almost 18 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son didnt walk until 14mths. I didnt think he ever would and that something was wrong. I think as long as your lil one can hold your hand and walk like that, that is a great start.I went outta town and came back and my boy was walkin. They'll do it when you least expect it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• 13 months is not late at all. My son started walking on his own at 14 months.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009