Complex ovarian cysts question

I had a large simple ovarian cyst all throughout my recent pregnancy. My son was born 1/31 and I've had two ultrasounds since then to check on the cysts.

My first follow-up ultrasound showed the cyst on the right side was still 6cm. There was also a new 2cm complex cyst on the left ovary.

My most recent follow-up ultrasound shows the right side has gone down to 3cm and the left cyst has gone up to 3cm. Both cysts have low level internal echoes and septations.

The conclusion on the report is that I have bilateral complex ovarian cysts that may represent hemorrhagic cysts or endometriomas. Follow up in 2-3 months.

My doctor is recommending followup in 6 months, not 2-3. I have read complex ovarian cysts are more concerning. I'm bothered that they want to wait 6 months instead of 2 or 3.

I'm just looking for some opinions on what I should do. Should I get a second opinion?

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Health

• A second opinion is a good idea.
    Also talk to your doctor and ask why they want you to wait. Tell them you want to be seen in 2-3 months. If they don't accomodate you, you might want to switch doctors. If they resist this timeframe, how can you trust that they are ever doing things the way they should? You need to be able to trust your doctor
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 3:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would call the doc and insist that they follow up in 2-3 mos and not wait until 6. You have that right. I had a cyst inside an ovary and ended up losing that ovary when I was 22. I also have endometriosis. I would be insisting that it is my body and that they don't have the right to put of a follow up when the clinical indications show that one needs to be done sooner or find another doctor. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:16 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I did make an appointment with another gyn for next week.

Just confirmation that this was a good move - I just talked with the doctor and asked questions about the ultrasound report of my cysts. She did answer all my questions and I'm more OK about them now - HOWEVER, when she called her first statement was, "the results of your mammogram look great" and I've NEVER had a mammogram! They'd put someone else's record on my chart. To top it off, while she was answering my questions she mentioned me having PCOS, and I said, "what's that - I have that?" and she said, "yeah, don't you?" and I said, "if I do, nobody told me!" UGH. So maybe I have PCOS, maybe I don't. I don't even know what that means...but whatever. I'm going next Thursday to a new gyn and will hopefully have a much better experience.

Thanks for your replies.
    ErinMarie123

Answer by ErinMarie123 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 24, 2009