(Christians) A fiery place in hell has been reserved for you

Is there ever a time when this comment should be made? Do we ever have the right to tell a person they are destined for hell? If a person was to say this to you what should be the response?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• imo i think it's for anyone who isn't washed in the blood
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• no. even if the person is a murdering, stealing, lying, drunkard...we still cant say wither or not God is going to send that person to hell. Christians can tell someone the way they are living doesn't line up with the Bible & that the punishment is hell, but thats only if we truly know them & they are also Christians and it is to be done humbly, not self-righteously. we are to be witnesses, not judge & jury.

if someone were to say that to me i would just ignore them...being nice will reap hot coals on their heads haha. but i would be thinking "see you there!" haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Actually, my response was "I don't believe in hell." I don't think that the job of judging the beliefs or behaviors of others has been in the hands of flawed human beings since Jesus was supposedly on earth. It's not the job of christians or muslims or jews or any religious group to judge anyone else. If you want to present this little fairy tale to others,fine, but expect to be ignored. I don't believe that Zeus is going to zap me with a lightning bolt and send me into the underworld and I see no reason to believe in the christian myth either. My understanding of Jesus's message is that we are to love and help one another. And that's all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No. The Christian faith is about loving God's people as Jesus did. God loves all his people. No matter what their faith, no matter where they stand., even if they don't believe in him - God loves them. God is love and as Christians we are meant to serve as examples of Gods love. Anyone who would try to sit in God's seat and judge another is misguided. We are all misguided at some point, but we must learn to rely on God's love through faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The only time I kind of agreed (and I don't believe in hell, but loved it)

"you'll go to that special place in hell reserved for pedaphiles and people who talk in the movies"

love that line.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I hung up on her. It was my MIL, and she told me that since I didn't "force" my family to go to church, I was condemning us all to hell, including my at-the-time 4 month old son.
    My husband and I despise the way so-called Christians act one way in church or around their church "family" and another way when they're out in the world, and refuse to go to church. Hypocrisy is worn like a favorite pair of jeans, IMO, by most (NOT all, but MOST) Christians.
    We pray and worship in our own way.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes because it's truthful and that person should know that their actions are wrong and will land them there if someone said that to me i'd shrug and laugh because i know where i am headed and it aint hell

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Petie...

"Whoa, good Bible." ;)

(Props to another Firefly fan..... Browncoats for life.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We don't know a person's heart, or what they will wake up tomorrow to do, and therefore such a judgment is not ours to make.

Only God can say who is destined for where - for all you know that Pagan you put down today may turn around tomorrow and become a prominent member of the Christian faith, making you look like a fool for ever judging him/her.

Or worse - someone could be on the path to doing something great in Christianity, and your unkind words could be just the push he/she needs to stray from that path and never look back. I don't think any ounce of pride is worth pushing anyone further from God, and so we should be careful of the things we say, because pushing someone further from God is not something any of us want to be held accountable for.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (speaking from a traditional Christian perspective, anyway... Being an nontraditional Christian I don't believe in Hell or that Christianity is the only way, but even so I know enough to know that if you DO believe in Hell and that one must be Christian you should take such a belief seriously and not do anything to cause another person to stray even further from God - anything that would further their chances of going... You should want to encourage them to come closer to God, and not push them away, if you're going to say anything based on said belief at all....)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009