does anyone know if the childern have to go to pre k to be able to go to kindergarden?

my 4 year old was in a daycare that the last year was considered pre k. but i had to pull her out due to ever raising rates. right now i am teaching her on my days off. does she need to be in pre k to go to kindergarden? or can i skip that step and just put her in kindergarden next year?

loveablemom2

Asked by loveablemom2 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She can just go to Kindergarten when she is ready next year. Just make sure that you keep working with her. I personally think that Pre-K is a waste of money.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yes she can just go to kindergarten. She will do fine, especially since you are spending time with her! Great job!!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Pre-K is not required in any state. Kindy is. So she doesn't have to go to pre-k to go to kindy.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 11:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Pre-K is not a requirement. Kindergarten is not a requirement in all states, but it is in some.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No, thank God, prek is not required. I think its unnecessary.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No, your child doesn't need to go to nursery school or pre-K to go to Kindergarten. And in fact most states don't require Kindergarten - you don't even have to home school or formal school until 1st grade. Time was most children did not attend preschool or even Kindergarten - K was introduced as a readiness program for grade school, which is why I find it wierd that pre-K has become all of the rage. My kids went to nursery school which is play and values focused, rather than academic - and it's also only a few mornings a week, not affiliated with day care.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• NO they dont have to be in Pre K in order to go to Kindergarden! She can go when she is ready..The whole reason for PreK is for them to get ready for Kindergarden!!!
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 5:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Pre-K is not a requirement of going to Kindergarten. Actually, some states do not require a child attend Kindergarten, I know for sure that in Wisconsin, Kindergarten is not required.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2009