Preschool & Naps

My son starts preschool next week and the biggest thing i'm worried about is nap time.

He hasn't taken a nap since he was about 2 (On rare occasions where we have an extremely busy day he will but that's not very often!) and I know in the preschool they have an hour of nap time during the day. I am so worried that he isn't going to do very well with that.

Anyone else have a kid who didn't nap before they started school, how did they do once they were in school and had to nap?

KalebsMommee

Asked by KalebsMommee at 11:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when i worked at a daycare/preschool, my dd went with me but she was in a different class, at home i always have to lay or sit beside her to get her to go to sleep but @ the school, she'd lay on the nap mat & go to sleep... for the other kids that wouldn't sleep, the teachers would jsut have the child lie there quietly and "rest" GL i hope he does well
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• From my understanding they don't have to sleep but it's a quiet time for everybody. I'm sure it won't be a big deal if he doesn't actually nap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Right, ditto the other 2 posters...the kids that don't sleep get "quiet time" so they can look at a book or play with quiet toys during that time.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:25 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• More than likely if the child doesn't nap, he'll just have to use that time as "quiet time" by coloring, looking at books, etc.

I'm kind of at the opposite of that. My 3 year old will occasionally nap in the afternoon and she starts preschool in a couple of weeks...AFTERNOON preschool. It's only 3 hours, so no naps. By the time she will get home, it will be too late for her to nap because it'll mess with her going to sleep at bedtime.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:27 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• all the preschools we are looking at none of them have a nap time..... my ds would go for 6 hours a day...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• A 6 hour preschool with no nap time? That's insane!! Most of the kindergarten classes even around here still have nap time.

I know they have quiet time I guess i'm just concerned about how my son will do since he isn't used to it. I've been trying to work with him and get him used to it by having an hour each day where he either sits quietly to read or do some other quiet activity but of course it hasn't worked yet. I'm hoping once he gets into the routine it will be much easier for him while he is at school. Maybe seeing other kids doing it will help? I don't know.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I specifically send my kids to preschool in the morning because I'm not about to pay someone to put my kid down for a nap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son wasn't taking naps when he started preschool either. They did require him to lay down and have quiet time, but if they didn't sleep it was fine. Often times he would fall asleep for a short time because he played harder there then at home.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They don't have to sleep but they have to have quiet time. In Wisconsin, it is state law that after 30 minutes of laying down, a child must be allowed up and to do quiet activities at a table or on their mat. They can NOT be forced to sleep of lay longer than 30 minutes. Check with the agency that licenses daycare/preschools in your state to get the most current and accurate information.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "I specifically send my kids to preschool in the morning because I'm not about to pay someone to put my kid down for a nap."

Um ... WHAT?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2009