What Do You Think Of Non-Denominational Churches?

Interested in all opinions but specifically hoping to hear from Christians.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a good question anon. When you go to a denominational church, you know what the standpoint or what process of hermanutics will be because of the denominational affiliation of the pastor. If you agree with your denoms process of hermanutics or general stance on most "issues that divide," then you'll be able to trust other interpretations that come from the pulpit as well or at least use them as a guideline in your own study. It's been a long time since I've attended a non-denom church service so I'm not sure if I can answer your question very well. For them, I'd think interpretation would depend on the hermanutics of the pastor and how he would guide them through their personal study. I'm sure if it's a church and pastor they like, they'll trust his guidance through interpreting the word.

That's just my best guess. Maybe a non-denom mom could tell us?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have no problem at all with them as long as they teach the Bible and that Jesus is the only way to be saved.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• what is wrong with non-denominational churches? i personally like them.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 11:35 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• okc, I didn't say whether or not I thought there was something wrong with them. I'm interested in hearing others opinions on them and why they feel the way they do about them. I've only recently learned that they even exist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think they're fine. I've been to one and I enjoyed it. They call it non-denominational, which kind of makes it a denomination in itself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i prefer non-denominations because that leaves little or no doctrine to get in the way with teachings or Christ lead instructions and actions. for me, doctrines equal politics and are man made. when a group of elders are more interested in doctrine and chains of command i feel it gets in the way in what the church should be doing for its members and community.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:41 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well, I go to a non-denom church. I grew up going to a denominational church and started going to a non-denom church when my son was 5. That church then joined a denomination that was similar to the one i grew up in after I had been there 7 yrs. I am back at a non-denom church. The biggest difference for me between non-denom and denom churches are some of the extra "rules" that are not found in the bible. I grew up in a church where no pants, no make-up (back then), panty hose even when its 100 degree in the summer, sleeves to your elbows etc. but no one could show me in the bible where it says these things are wrong.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• cont. I now attend a church that teaches the bible... the whole bible.. but not the extra man made rules. Also non-denom churches tend to be a little more ethnically and culturally mixed.. at my church u have hispanics, blacks, native american, asian, white, etc. and a mixture of ages all coming together.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Personally, if I went back to christianity thats where Id go.

I think they offer a lot in terms of teaching and spiritually strengthening without all the rigidness of many specific denominations.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think they're same as any other church.
    JewelzMeow

Answer by JewelzMeow at 11:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009