Has anyone had any experience with Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction during their pregnancy?

This is my 1st pregnancy, and for the past 3 weeks I have had the worst pain when I move. For example, up and down stairs, getting in and out of a car, walking, and the worst is when I am in bed and try to roll over or get out. At first I dismissed this pain, but now it is so bad I can't so I did some research online, and read about SPD and was amazed because it described my symptoms perfectly...but it also says that a lot of OBGYN's dismiss it so I really don't know how to bring it up to him to get him to realize this is not normal? Any suggestions or similar stories? Thanks

M_M_Parker

Asked by M_M_Parker at 11:38 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have the exact same thing you do....same problems. Doctors don't do a thing about it...I go to the chiropractor cause I read online that they can help. This thursday will be my second time going. You should check into it! It helps. After the baby is born, I'm going to have my chiropractor do an x ray on my pelvic area to see if everything is alright. I know it sucks, but I've heard it gets better after the baby is born.
    GinaPetty

Answer by GinaPetty at 11:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yep, I had it with my 2nd pregnancy but thank God it didnt happen until I was 35 weeks pregnant. I didnt go in to the hospital about the pain til I was 36 weeks and at that point a CT scan revealed what had happened. I had a VERY painful next 2 weeks but I was ok by about 1 month post pardem
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I had it with my last pregnancy in my last trimester. It was pure hell. When I had to climb stairs or get in or out of the car I had to sit down and literally lift my legs with my hands. It was just so painful, when I stood for longer than a few minutes I felt like my pelvis was splitting down the middle.

My doc did refer me for physical therapy though, which helped a bit...try to lay on your side when sleeping, with a pillow between you legs, and when you're sitting, try to keep your legs together. I'll try to find some of the exercises I did that seemed to help and post them.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I have it. This is my first pregnancy also. I started getting alot of pain around 31-32 weeks and researched and found SPD also. I went to the doctor and never mentioned SPD, just explained my symptoms and she started telling ME about SPD. She found out that mine actually seperated so she put me on disability and I'm on bedrest as much as possible. My doctor gave me a maternity support belt which isn't the most comfortable thing to wear and makes me 10x hotter than I already was but it does help alot.
    All I said to my doctor was, I'm in alot of pain, my bones feel like they are grinding, they are always cracking, I can't take a shower anymore because I can't stand long enough and by the end of the day I CAN'T WALK! Try to make them understand as best you can how much pain it causes you. If they don't mention SPD or tell you it's normal, tell them to see if you have it.
    I hope you feel better.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• yep i ad it around 30 weeks hated movin in bed very pain full just wanted to ly there an not move went to my doctoers they told me its the same thing as u explain they did not give me anythink they just sed take paracetomol 4 it but still no good after bout 2 weeks so went back told her not gettin any better an not very nice its uncomy to move so she gave me some stronger tablets got them never took them cause the pain ad stopped 4 couple of weeks but now im 39 weeks and it started agen wen i was 38 weeks waitin to be refered to a pyhsico to have crutches to take the presser off it but im lucky cause appaerntly women can end up in a wheel chair cause it hurts that much 2 move around n walk... sorry if this as scared you i was worried at first bein my first pregnancy!!!!! you'll be fine hun good luck and hope it gets better for you..
    molyneux88

Answer by molyneux88 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2009