How to help a toddler wipe? -I'm asking here cause not as many in the toddler section have started PT

We've got the potty routine down. Panties down, baby on potty, pee/poop, toilet paper, baby off, panties up, flush, wash hands. But I'm having trouble with her wiping. She tries it on her own but isn't very efficient. But she doesn't really like me doing it either. I try when she's sitting down, but that's a hard position. I try when she's off the toilet and standing, but some leaks a little as she gets off and she tenses up making it hard in that position too. It's not a big problem, but I'd like to fix it. How do you get your toddler to let you wipe efficiently without making a mess? Or what do you tell them explaining how to wipe themselves properly?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well my dd is two, she likes to go on the big potty, she wont use her, i tell her let me wipe so she doesnt fall in it works. but sometimes she still likes to do it, and i told her mommy do first then you can do....and since then shes gotten better, but if she doesnt do too well i just tell her to let me do so she doesnt fall in...it works..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is three and has been potty-trained for about a year now. I still wipe his bottom for him. He doesn't fight with me, and it's just been easier than dealing with him and the messes he creates on his own. Honestly, she may not be ready to do it on her own yet. Sorry I'm not much help.
    mrsjoeljr

Answer by mrsjoeljr at 12:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I tell my 2 yr old boy that mom does it first, then he can do it.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I do it for Felipe. Sometimes when I think about it, I let him have a wipe after I'm finished so he can practice - I say "Here you go, now you clean your butt." It isn't always easy to get him all the way clean, so sometimes I ask him to bend over the potty a little bit. Otherwise I just make sure to get him clean in the bath lol.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:08 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• my son will be 4 this sept, and hasnt mastered wiping yet but i expect him to try to do it, boys just wipe poo, so he does it, then i check his butt, and ususally have to remind him to really try to get the butthole.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My son is 3 1/2 and JUST potty trained completely about 2 weeks ago. I waited this late deliberately to save myself and him the frustration. We worked with him about 2-3 days with only 3 accidents and on the 4th day, we found him on the potty all by himself. Its been downhill ever since. No accidents, no pull ups...nothing. He was very ready. BUT, I dont feel hes ready for the wiping part. He calls me from the bathroom to "look" at his poop. He apparently feels the need for me to see it....LOL. I dont think he is quite coordinated enough to do this on his own. I dont mind because I would rather him get himself clean. My 7 yr old son still doesnt always wipe well. Boys are just like that. Girls are much easier to make independant. I say, go in there, let her do it first and then you finish up. Do that for as long as it takes for her to get good at it. Once you feel shes ready, then stop. Theres no magic age. Good luck!!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i was gonna say the same thing amaliad said. my son just turned 4 and i make him do it himself and then i check it. my motivation was telling him when hes at school, his teachers wont do it for him so he has to learn himself. seems to be working...
    chainedtofate85

Answer by chainedtofate85 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The only way my dd would let me wipe her when she was 2 - first potty training was to use baby wipes - I'd wipe her and then she would stand and wipe herself with big girl paper like mommy. She now loves to wipe herself we just have to be there with her to remind her sometimes otherwise she wont wipe and she will be 4 in December. So it takes time and she fought me at first also but once I bought a special case, just for big girls to use she was happy to let me wipe her with what I said were her big girl wipes. We got a white wipe case and let her decorate it with stickers. She doesnt use it anymore now she uses tp like mommy. I hope this helps sorry for the answer being so long.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Well the problem isn't getting her to wipe. It's teaching her how to do it properly. But I guess she's just not coordinated enough yet. That's fine.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Honestly I think it may be too early. Every kid is different, but I know my 2 yr old wouldnt do it correctly. My 5yr old is just starting to do it on his own. I am prob going to start teaching my 3 1/2 yr old soon, but that is iffy.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2009