Do you think if they got more dads and moms to pay child support would it help the welfare system?

I was listening to the radio the other day and there was questions about child support. They were trying to make the point that they need to be harder on parents that don't pay because alot times the other parent needs "help" from the state because the parent isnt paying. Do you think they should crack down via jail time, loosing licences, etc and at what point should they do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some states already have cracked down on deadbeat parents who don't pay their support...but if the man/woman don't want to pay, they'll find a way around. Also there'll always be people who will be on pa.
    JewelzMeow

Answer by JewelzMeow at 11:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• They most definitely should. I know here in North Carolina they are very hard on parents who don't pay child support, however getting to that point (applying for CS and getting a court date) they are pretty slow about it. It's taking me months just to take my ex to court. I have a court date September 23 (he failed to show up for the first court date. They should be more strict about THAT too).
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i think the whole child support deivison needs a rehaul.. some ppl never pay like my father.. yet my SO is apying and he is getting in trouble.. he dosent ahe the same job as he did when they ordered the amount we pay over 9 years ago but they refuse to do a reevaulation of the money becuase ... they never give us an answer..... i think tis a lot of bullshit....
    as for it heelping welfare no i dont think it will... the ppl that are on welfare have to claim CS even if they dont get it so if they still qualifiy with CS they are still going to get it weather they pay or not...
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:47 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Op here; I would just like to say I get food stamps and I know I wouldn't need them if I actually got my child support. 5 years and no money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "Op here; I would just like to say I get food stamps and I know I wouldn't need them if I actually got my child support. 5 years and no money"

I'm sorry to hear that, anon. What state do you live in?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• i think if mothers and fathers finished their educations, then got married, worked, saved their money, bought a home and raised their children together, it would drastically cut down on the need for so much welfare.

you know i'm staying anon on this one! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Anon :52....you are right.
    In my opinion, assistance should be temporary to get through a real financial crisis in the family...NOT a permanent thing. I thought Child Support was legally enforced and yet people are still getting away with not paying? SO, that says they are losers who will live off the government indefinitely. Good grief.
    And,yes, if babies were born to mature .wage earning families ....well, that would solve a whole lot of problems in itself. Teens who get pregnant are living off their parents and the government all the time because they are uneducated and have no ambition. It is a depressing thing.
    But I am sure there will be lots of flak as a result of what I just posted. So, I am also ANon. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• In a dream world, anon :52.. that would be the most convenient thing for people to do, but it doesn't always work out that way. That's just reality.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "Teens who get pregnant are living off their parents and the government all the time because they are uneducated and have no ambition. It is a depressing thing."

Agh, please oh please don't generalize. I had my first at 19, second at 20 and I was neither of these. I was on WIC for a few months, but not anymore. It was something that brought me back on my feet. I still qualify for it, and could easily get it, but honestly.. I don't NEED it. I can afford my own now.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think child support needs to be more rigorously enforced and pursued. My friend has tried to get her ex to pay, but every time they go to court he "forgets" his paperwork and the judge lets him off. If the ex doesn't show up in court with his paperwork, I think the judge should rule in the mother's favor. Instead, it just gets drawn out month after month.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009