One more question mostly for Catholics---

Is there a Sunday Mass online?

and will it fill the obligation for Sunday Mass if I can't make it to Mass because we are out of town?

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 11:43 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I find it unlikely an online mass could completely fulfill Sunday obligation because you can't receive Communion. However, if you're traveling and can't make it to church, certainly God understands and going online is better than doing nothing at all!
    CVRsmommy

Answer by CVRsmommy at 11:45 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• From my understanding (dh just heard this on the radio last week) as long as it's being broadcast live, it counts. I listen to WLOF ( http://radiotime.com/station/s_23890/WLOF_1460.aspx ) a lot and there's a daily Mass on there, during the time when the people that are actually there partake in the Eucharist they do a special prayer for the people who are listening and can't physically do that right then. There's a local AM radio station that I've heard doing Mass on Sunday as well so you can probably find one of those where you are if you can't find a video broadcast online.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Just out of curiosity, do Catholics take communion every time they are in the Church, or is it a weekly, monthly kind of thing. Sorry. I'm Baptist and we usually only have communion maybe 4 times a year at most...
    I was just wondering what the difference there is.. : )
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It's offered at every Mass lighthousemom.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think it will fulfill the obligation. Instead, check out the following website to find churches and mass times anywhere you are traveling. We've used this a bunch and with only a minor bit of planning have been able to make it to mass in all sorts of places!  www.masstimes.org

LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 12:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• EWTN has one online, During communion they say a prayer for those who are unable to receive.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• http://www.cibtv.com/ This might be helpful.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:43 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I think EWTN does. And did you know there is a church somewhere that is trying out confession online? I don't remember where it is and I know there were some issues about it , but I thought that was interesting.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• thanks. I am going to check out some of the websites. Libby's mom, we will be in the mountains away from all civilization. including general stores YIKES!!!!! Irony, the town 45 minutes away is a huge Catholic town San Luis, and the population in some of the surrounding areas is 75% Catholic. I am thinking we might venture out on Saturday afternoon, take a Sat PM Mass and then head back to the mountains.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 2:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• drink-lover: sounds like a fun vacation. I think it would be good to venture out to Mass. If someone has valid reasons for not being able to attend Mass, there is no Sunday obligation. But often they will choose to watch the Mass on television or read the bible readings for the day. And if someone is not physically able to attend Mass, many parishes will bring Holy Communion to them - I use to do this.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 7:54 PM on Aug. 24, 2009