Anyone adopted a child from another country? HELP!!!!

My husband and I adopted a little girl a yr and half ago. She's having severe behavorial problems. She will outright lie and disobey, more to me than my husband. Anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am sorry to hear that but I know that children adopted from other countries usually develop delays in speech or developmentally. I suggest you can talk with a developmental pediatrician or a child psychologist. She may need some interventions or therapies to overcome certain aspects of her upbringing until the point that you got guys got involved into her life. I applaud you for caring for this child and for loving her and trying to do something to help her. I will talk with pediatrician first and even a behavioral specialist. Good luck and think of it as something that can be overcome with love and the appropriate interventions.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Ok.. deep breath.
    A couple of questions..
    1.) How old was your dd at adoption? Was she in an orphanage or foster care in that country?
    2.) How old is she now?
    3.) Are you *positive* it is adoption related?
    4.) Have you had her evaluated at all by EIP?

I am an adoptive mother to a little girl adopted internationally. It *is* possible that this could be adoption related...or it could just be a phase. Many children, bio or not, will outright lie, etc to their mother and not their father. My dd will ignore me before she will he daddy. She is almost 4 and has no attachment disorders at all. She's just being a typical 4 yr old.
    Not all children adopted internationally have attachment issues. Some do, but most do not.
    Please pm me and I'll try to help you out somehow.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 12:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009