What's the total now?

A total of 33 Fox advertisers, including Wal-Mart Stores Inc., CVS Caremark, Clorox and Sprint, directed that their commercials not air on Beck's show, according to the companies and ColorofChange.org, a group that promotes political action among blacks and launched a campaign to get advertisers to abandon him. That's more than a dozen more than were identified a week ago.

While it's unclear what effect, if any, this will ultimately have on Fox and Beck, it is already making advertisers skittish about hawking their wares within the most opinionated cable TV shows.

The Clorox Co., a former Beck advertiser, now says that "we do not want to be associated with inflammatory speech used by either liberal or conservative talk show hosts." The maker of bleach and household cleaners said in a statement that it has decided not to advertise on political talk shows.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They also host the most-watched programs on their networks.

"This is a good illustration of that conundrum," said Rich Hallabran, spokesman for UPS Stores, which he said has temporarily halted buying ads on Fox News Channel as a whole.

Beck can bring the eyeballs. With the health care debate raising political temperatures, his show had its biggest week ever right before his vacation, averaging 2.4 million viewers each day, according to Nielsen Media Research.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090824/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_beck_s_advertisers
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:49 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Bunch of whiney babies! Oh wait, arent all those companies owned and managed by Liberals? Ah, no shock there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• won't do a damn thing, no matter how many times a day you repeat it! just like a broken record...over and over and over again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

I'm sure its hard to READ for you but you may be interested to know that these same advertisers are considering pulling their ads from Olberman, Maddow and O'Reilly as well....Its about saying something that is offensive to the gemeral population and that is bi-partisan

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I'd never heard of Beck until everyone on CM started to make a big deal about this. He is getting tons of free publicity every time someone posts stuff like this, you do realize that? I heard his ratings are up.

He will lose some advertisers, but others will take their place. As long as people are talking about Beck, people will listen to Beck. As long as people listen, advertisers will pay.

(I'm sure Beck appreciates your unwilling support of his show, Sweet! lol )
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:57 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• "we do not want to be associated with inflammatory speech used by either liberal or conservative talk show hosts

The shows present a dilemma for advertisers, who usually like a "safe" environment for their messages. The Olbermanns, Hannitys, O'Reillys, Maddows and Becks of the TV world are more likely to say something that will anger a viewer, who might take it out on sponsors

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• (I'm sure Beck appreciates your unwilling support of his show, Sweet! lol )

Not you too Manco...Pleas read the WHOLE article, its anout BOTH sides LOSING ads.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:59 AM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Exactly mancos the same thing happened with Limbaugh the president and others griped about him and then even more people tuned in.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• So glad I have TiVo and Satellite. Able to record or pause live TV and then fast-forward through all of the commercials. I can decide where and when I want to shop. LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

I like commercials, thats when I cahnnel surf to see if anything better is on! LOL

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2009