How did you respond when your child had there 1st serious emergency room boo-boo?

Yesterday I took my DD to the park and she fell and hit her head. I was calm at 1st until I turned her around to checkout her head. She had blood running down her back. I just ran to the car and headed to the hospital. I was so scared and freaked out. Luckily it was just a bad bump and she is fine. My friends say they knew it wasn't serious but I wasn't gonna take there word for it.

Se-Se

Asked by Se-Se at 11:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was calm and collected...hubby on the other hand was almost enough to set me over the edge. Once she was back in her own bed and safely alseep, I fell apart.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I cry when he gets shots and am freaked out if he just trips lol, I would have done the same you did
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 12:00 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Oh I should also say that when she gets shots, I laugh and giggle...it's a reaction...I dont' think it's funny but I can't control it. Same thing happens when she cries when she's in trouble or hurt but I can usually control it a little better.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• wow good for you for going - who knows what could have happened. Look at Natasha Richardson. Glad dd's ok. Unfortunately more bumps and accidents will come most likely. One of my kids had a really bad sports injury - three separate bad injuries on one leg. I stayed calm and away on the outside to not upset him as rescue came.

It's gets a little bit easier as time goes on. Hugs to you and daughter!!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• When my youngest son had to be rushed to the hospital (he just had surgery done a couple of days prior and fell off the couch and busted everything wide open) I managed to call 911 b/c there was no way I was going to be able to drive, call my mom, and stay calm. I rode with him to the hospital and when my mom volunteered to sit with him in the ER untill he could go back to surgery to repair what had been undone I took her up on it. I stepped one foot outside to get some fresh air and lost it. I started crying and blaming myself for him falling but as soon as I got back to where he was again I had it all undercontrol.

I can keep it together when needed to but I fall apart later when I don't have control of anything anymore.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My now 15 month old son got a hold of one of my dad's collector knives hanging on the wall and cut a slice off of his finger when he was 11 months old. It was barely hanging on. I took him to the emergency room and they glued the piece of skin back together since it was too shallow of a cut to use stitches. He was just fine. You can't even tell it happened since it healed so well.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I wasn't there, my husband was babysitting and when I got home there was blood all over the sidewalk and into the house. My son had fallen while holding a glass jar and cut his hand. My husband didn't think to leave a note, so I guessed that they must be at the hospital and called there and located them. When they started the stitches, he fainted. The first time I took our son to the ER for an accident he had cut his cheek. The ER doctor wanted to stitch, but I said call the plastic surgeon on call. He argued and even called our family doctor, who finally agreed with me. The ER surgeon would have put 8 stitches in, the plastic surgeon put in about twice that number, and my son has a very fine line on his cheek.

Answer by Bmat at 12:11 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Its better to be safe than sorry. This probably isn't going to be your first stint at the ER or to the Urgent Care :) I hope your daughter is feeling better.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 12:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• It was shortly after 5am and my husband went in to check on our 10 month old before leaving for work. Her entire face upper torso and bedding were covered in blood. This was 4 days after that little piece of skin that connects your upper lip to your top gum was clipped shorter, so we knew it was from that. She was active and alert and it didn't seem like it bothered her. The blood was dry so we knew she was no longer bleeding. We cleaned her up as much as possible and rushed her to the ER just to play it safe. My nerves were okay until we got to the ER and they made us stand there and wait for them to open the doors back to the beds so they could finished their conversation...that's when it all hit me and I kind of freaked out.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:12 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We just had our first Urgent Care trip last friday. My 2yr. old fell and hit his head on a brick step. Opened a gash about half-an-inch long. I went through stuff like that so many times as a kid I just picked him up, got the bleeding stopped and took him in. Didn't even phase me because I knew the drill. LOL! Now he's got three staples that I have to take him in to have removed today.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 12:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2009