The Great Flood in Non-Bible believeing Faiths...

I was watching In Search of History "Noah's Ark" and they were talking about how the myth of the flood and the ark were a common belief in the pre-Christian world. But that today it is primarily one that only those following Abrahamic Faiths believe in.

I was wondering if anyone knows were I could find any of these myths? What paths they belonged to and what the beliefs actually were.

Links would be helpful! Thanks!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are many Ancient flood myths at this site:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Utnapishtim was the "Noah" in the Epic of Gilgamesh
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We Christians believe that not only is everyone a decendant of Adam, but that all humankind were destroyed in the flood and therefore we all are decendents of Noah, his wife, his three sons and their wives too. To me, the fact that there is some account of a great flood in the majority of ancient cultures all over the world (who would have decended from the family saved in the ark) is proof to me that it actually happened. Not everyone has an accurate account but there definitely was a flood. I enjoy reading other accounts of the flood though.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:06 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't know any links on here to give you, but I agree with Novemberlove...Christians do believe in the flood and we are all descendents of Noah and his family...They were the only ones that found favor in God's eyes at the time, so they were the only ones spared from the flood.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• While it's nice to believe that we all came from one place, I don't. I do however believe there was a flood. Worldwide? NO, but massive none the less. There is actually proof in the middle east of a massive flood althought dating has as of yet failed to my knowledge. This same proof is not evident in other areas... So it is more than feasable that there was a large flood over an entire area, which when your world is only as large as you can walk to, it's easy to see how people would have believed it was world wide. There is also the possability of major flooding just following the Ice Age, but this as of yet is not prooven either.

My curiosities are more or less just that... I'm curious. Just to see what they say. I know what the bible says, but what did other faiths teach? Hmmm... I wonder!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• We are born from a flood of Ymir's blood and will leave in the fire and flood of Ragnarok. Not exactly a Noah parallel to either, though there are some similarities. Ymir's blood killed everyone but a husband and wife of his people, but we are not direct descendants. They are a different race species of man. Earth and all above and below were created from Ymir's flesh, and we were born or the earth which was born of the flesh and blood.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009