Was this prejudice? Was I wrong?

I posted this in the adoption area too, but wanted to post it here since it is a little political....

Okay, I'm on another non-Cafemom board. (A group for women with infertility, I had IF but now have kids but I still visit.)

Anyway, long story short, there was a post about if it was wrong to prefer to adopt a white baby..........one mom on there said that she didn't want to adopt a child who was black because she was afraid the child would "relate to the AA Culture" (meaning African American) and eventually "turn against us".

I told her that, while I did not think it was wrong to prefer to adopt a white baby, you shouldn't assume that just because a child is black they might turn against you.

I explained that prejudice = pre judging how someone will behave based on what they look like...........

Well my post was deleted!!!!!!!! I was accused of being too nit-picky. Was it wrong!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think you were wrong.
    Kristinmomof2

Answer by Kristinmomof2 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• No, you were not wrong, but she sounds quite ignorant and racist, IMO. Maybe it was deleted because of HER comments?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I don't think its racist to want the same race baby as you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I wouldnt say her comment was racist, but more like you said "prejudice" and "stereotyping".

I also dont think it's wrong for someone to want to adopt a preferred race.

I ALSO dont think what you said was "nit picking" either.. Man, I thought Cafemom was uptight.. lol.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• you were in the right. i dont think she's racist just for wanting to adopt a child of the same race. its the fact that she assumes the child will "turn against them" because of race that is prejudice.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Nope and I agree with you in that instance. I am not racist but I don't prefer interracial adoptions because it leads the child to have all kinds of grief as they grow up. I certainly don't think they would turn against you. I think parents would bring up a non white child just as they would a white one plus add life experiences that would include their heritage. If they do their jobs there would be no reason for a black child to turn on their adoptive parent.
    Sounds like a bunch of ladies who don't like to be disagreed with.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009