First time parents and Registering

Ok ladies I need help. This is our first time and we are trying to register but its so much stuff and I get overwhelmed. What do I need, the essentials the things you couldnt live without? Any help will be appreciated

mycheyl

Asked by mycheyl at 12:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when i registered, i went to babies r us and they had someone from the store walk around with me and help me get everything i need! and he did a good job too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• I would say put some onsies, socks, mittens, soaps and lotions on it. Things like that. I would also put in the message on it that diapers and wet ones are welcome. Believe me you are gonna need them! Good Luck! =D
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 12:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There's so much to get, so here goes: dishwasher basket(for nipples, pacifers), bottle brushes,bibs,bottles, breast pump(if you breastfeed), onsies,socks,baby lotion and bath,ear thermometer(I got a regular one and it was such a pain in the ass to use on her),pacifers, diapers, wipes,teething rings,baby bathtub,diaper pail,baby towels, desitin or balmex, crib sheets and bumper,mesh bags to put frozen fruit in( for teething), crib mobile, pack n play, diaper bag,toys to hang from carseat, different size clothing, and a first aid kit( comes with baby nail clippers), stroller, and carseat. I went to babies r us and target to register with a friend that had 2 young children and she helped alot!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• A lot of things you don't need. Start a list - you can find some on the web too. Think Sleeping, Playing, Travelling, Pooping/Peeing, Bathing, and Eating. Sleeping - crib, co-sleeper bassinet (I loved ours, my kids didn't move to the big crib until about 5 mo), jammies, zip on blanket covers, linens, lots of urp cloths or light blankets, swaddle-me blanket (loved ours). Playing - bouncy seat and portable swing, a few soft blocks, a play mat with a playgym overhead (gymini makes the best ones - get one that folds). They don't really play much until about 4 mo.

Traveling - car seat, base and stroller. Don't get a set - get the carseat and base, and then pick out your stroller. The sets are a waste, and every infant car seat fits in every stroller designed for an infant car seat. Most of the big strollers stink so pick one that's light and easy to fold. Check consumer reports for the car seat. You only need one base.
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Cont'd - Pooping/Peeing - cloth diaps if you want 'em (they are great - no pins but it's a whole other thing to worry about). Skip the elaborate trash cans - waste of time. Changing table, mat and a few covers. Skip the wipe warmer - waste (even in cold climates).

Bathing - I took the kids in the tub with me, but having a little baby tub was handy. I liked the fisher price.

Eating - assuming you're breastfeeding, you really don't need anything. Most hospitals will give you a hand pump, so maybe a few bottles (like 3-4). I liked Avent. The freezer bags are good to have to freeze your milk. If you're going to pump more, get a medela pump and get a decent one. A boppy is great but you can get them cheap at consignment. I liked having a boppy upstairs and downstairs.

And clothes of course but that's the easy part. Have fun - you can always get things later too :-)
    HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2009